Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting hx pv numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat7051 View Post
    Totally agreee
    What's happened to hk why don't we hear from him anymore.

It is not for me to say, that is for Byron to comment on.
    However I personally believe that his extensive knowledge and helpful nature was not being appreciated by some members of the forum. So rather than continually engage in fruitless, pointless arguments and contradictions he decided to leave.
    A great loss to all of the current and future members of this great site. A site that has been built by the dedication and love of a group of like minded people.
    Here, as in life, the majority must pay for the acts of the minority.
    His input is sorely missed.
    Sorry Blocker I know this is off topic

Learner Driver
    The door handles are chrome, it has the chrome scratch gaurd underneath as well...

Forums are an incredible source of information, because of people like the aforementioned member who left... It's a shame the bullshit they have to put up with, anyway back on topic... Would love anymore help, I'll google the Holden historic deal, see what they say..

Banned
    It should have black door handles that were not chromed and painted black stainless trim around windscreen. To me that says no to Sandman. But contact Historical services to know for sure.

The van I have is a HX in mint julep with a 253, 4 speed, 1950gvm and 2 seater. I thought I had my dream car but I now think it's an XU4

There was nothing original left by the time I got it, however there was no evidence of it having a floor shift. Unless of course the whole thing had been re-shelled by the time I got it.

I better contact holden historical services myself.

Buickrat, I found they came up first when I did a google.

Without documentation to prove it a Sandman, I would say it is not. I would be more inclined to see it as an optioned up panel van rather than a Sandman, you must remember that a lot of buyers didn't want all the graphics and looks of the Sandman in its day and the fact that the stripes were a delete option on HZ bears this out. My father passed up an L31 M21 HX Sandman in favour of an L20 M15 HZ van in 1981 because he wouldn't drive that "bloody lairy thing" on the roads. At 19 I was begging him to get the Sandman!!!!!!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

i wouldnt be worried about chrome on handles as rusted doors were just swapped out for less rusty doors. the chrome scratch strip isn't a biggy either as these are added to cover up bog in sills. if the car was repainted without GTS blackouts then black windscreen molds would have been pulled off for chrome too. i'd be looking for evidence of body molding or correct paint code colour over spray on floors to determine if it's the correct body

HX and HZ are hard to pick off the plates alone.

i came close to buying an HZ that had 'sandman plates' where the owner had added all of the GTS gear, twin front etc and tried to flog it as a sandman. it was just a holden van with 253 and 4 speed buckets options!
    Last edited by Vombil; 01-09-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    BQZ

The chrome door handles don't specifically say no, however, if it had the black ones it would highly increase the likelihood of a "Yes".

I reckon it's most likely a no. A Chamois XU3 would be a highly unlikely combination. It's more than likely a plumber who wanted bucket seats and enough grunt to tow.

One thing that I have noticed that does not get mentioned much is the spare wheel carrier which is smaller on a sandman to suit the gts wheels I maybe wrong but gts wheel would not have been factory fitted to standard holden Utes or vans one other thing that I cannot work out is why would you option up a standard holden when you could buy a kingwood the window surrounds on my hx sandman ute are not chromed at all the paint has faded off them they are a grey mat type finish like the door handles

Banned
    No Kingswood van in HX. So you had to option a standard one up. I doubt if you ordered N67 wheels on a non Sandman you would have got 5 and the different which end.
    The windscreen trim is not chrome. It's stainless and they painted over them. The door handles were not chromed though.
    If HX has 18v trim its almost 100% a sandman if it's not a Kingswood ute. Pretty much the same in HZ.
    Last edited by wbute; 01-09-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Thread Information