Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test run my 253

Leadfoot

Test run my 253

Hi guys, thinking I would like to test run my 253 before it goes in the van, has anyone got a wiring diagram to get it started without using the wire loom? cheers Mark

Run one + to the coil and the standard starter moter large cable short it to the solenoid lug and it will go but why would you want to do this

Leadfoot
    I want to run it as it hasn't been started for 12 months and the van is a few weeks from finished paint, I would like to run it before I put it back in the van and discovere there is a problem, I will also hook up the radiator may be more hassle than its worth but just a thought. did a compression test today 150psi in most but 140psi in a couple of cylinders, would the compression be down a bit due to sticky ring??? cheers

I ran mine on a converted engine stand and the wiring was pretty simple. Main battery lead and Negative connected. Ran a small circuit from the starter motor to a switch then to the dizzy. Piked up another switch for the start solenoid and away it went. Didn't worry about belts or coolant, just ran it enough to confirm oil pressure and no oil leaks etc.

Leadfoot
    Thanks mate that's what I wanted, I also like the look of your extractors, what brand are they and did they come that colour or did you paint them? cheers and thanks again

Compression would be down if it has not been going for 12 months I would think

Quote Originally Posted by hilta View Post
    Thanks mate that's what I wanted, I also like the look of your extractors, what brand are they and did they come that colour or did you paint them? cheers and thanks again
    Hi hilta, the extractors are Pacemakers and were blue before i painted them black. Also, i forgot that i had to run a circuit to the electric fuel pump as i have swapped it out. I connected it to the same switch that turns on the dizzy.

Thanks. Saved this thread so I can come back and refer to it... I've been keen to do this for a while now.

Leadfoot
    Thanks guys, what should the compression be?? is 150 good?

Quote Originally Posted by hilta View Post
    Thanks guys, what should the compression be?? is 150 good?
    Yeah I think that's pretty reasonable. Should be fairly consistent, which you have. A problem if a lot of variation, say 80 in one and 150 in the rest. 12 months won't hurt a motor, unless you leave it at the beach.

Thread Information