Thread: HK rear brakes jammed....

HK rear brakes jammed....

G'day all, off Sandman topic here but hoping someone might have an idea... I've sold my HK brougham, trying to get her ready to be taken away on car trailer tomorrow. Has motor and gear box out and I can't get the rear wheels to turn.... It has the handbrake cable disconnected - would this have some kind of reverse pulley set up locking the wheels? Any ideas?cheers, jeza

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeza View Post
    G'day all, off Sandman topic here but hoping someone might have an idea... I've sold my HK brougham, trying to get her ready to be taken away on car trailer tomorrow. Has motor and gear box out and I can't get the rear wheels to turn.... It has the handbrake cable disconnected - would this have some kind of reverse pulley set up locking the wheels? Any ideas?cheers, jeza
    Back your linings off at the rear wheel cylinder. Looking at your drum from the diff side you should see the adjustment slot, you should be able to get a flat screw driver into it and feel the adjuster grooves, I cant remember which way you go, think anti clockwise, if it gets easier your going the right way, but if you have it jacked up you should be able to tell that its freeing. bit of a pain but yeah.

Banned
    If you tow it they will probably release.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamenco_not_Flamingo View Post
    Back your linings off at the rear wheel cylinder. Looking at your drum from the diff side you should see the adjustment slot, you should be able to get a flat screw driver into it and feel the adjuster grooves, I cant remember which way you go, think anti clockwise, if it gets easier your going the right way, but if you have it jacked up you should be able to tell that its freeing. bit of a pain but yeah.
    Should be able to do what Flammers has suggested. You might be able to see the threaded adjuster through the adjuster hole in the backing plate and note which way to back off (screw the threaded rod into the sleeve) the adjustment. From memory you'll need to push the adjuster knotches 'down' at the back on both sides (happy to have it wrong if someone has a better memory than mine).
    Nunc est bibendum...

Backing off the adjustment on the rear drums has freed it up enough to move it - drums were full of soda from soda blast and hasn't moved in 7 years... Still tight but moveable - thanks Gents

Brougham being picked up tomorrow, freed up room in the shed for missus new car - flew up to Sydney Saturday and drove it home to Geelong - VZ CV8 Monaro, nice!!!

Thread Information