Thread: HJ Sandman Panel Value

Learner Driver

HJ Sandman Panel Value

Hello all, I need to make an offer on a HJ Sandman Panel van. A family friend who bought it new, still has all paper work. I don't want to pay more than it's worth. Needs a few minor rust repairs, repaint and some interior work, but you could just about drive away. It has been on blocks for 3 yrs. It's a 308 (rebuilt not sure on details but recent), t400.

Is $20000.00 too much??

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    G'day mick, post some pics and we will have a look. Some plate details as well would be handy, cheers

Cruiser
    C
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick63 View Post
    Hello all, I need to make an offer on a HJ Sandman Panel van. A family friend who bought it new, still has all paper work. I don't want to pay more than it's worth. Needs a few minor rust repairs, repaint and some interior work, but you could just about drive away. It has been on blocks for 3 yrs. It's a 308 (rebuilt not sure on details but recent), t400.

Is $20000.00 too much??
    Hard question to answer Mick and I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to answer it. Your idea of a little rust to fix could be a horror to some or almost insignificant to others. How original is it? It will help if you can put up some pictures and details from the compliance plates.

Learner Driver
    It's all original except the wheels and minor panel paint repairs. I'm a panel beater by trade so the minor rust is not a huge issue, I actually worked on the car in the early '80s. I've checked out the compliance plates, all is good. Built in Acacia Ridge,(I toured this factory in 1982 with my Tafe college, they were building Camiras on the day).

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick63 View Post
    It's all original except the wheels and minor panel paint repairs. I'm a panel beater by trade so the minor rust is not a huge issue, I actually worked on the car in the early '80s. I've checked out the compliance plates, all is good. Built in Acacia Ridge,(I toured this factory in 1982 with my Tafe college, they were building Camiras on the day).
    Too hard without a visual. What's the interior like? So plates are compliant with a 308 , auto? xx7?

Not trying to be difficult mate, it's just a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

I could say a price and well, it could be way off without info.

Cheers

Michael

In my opinion 20k is too much for something that needs restoring. That's up there with two door values. Some rust repairs and interior repairs sounds like to me it will end up getting completely striped and rebuilt. Probably spend a fair bit of money and time on it. 20K to me should buy a neat roadworthy van that can driven as is no work required.

But if it is all original with original engine (number as well as date code if you have the original paper work) and just the perfect colour and drive line combo that someone is chasing it will be worth what ever they a willing to part with to get it. ie if one GT falcon sold for 1 mill doesn't automatically make the rest worth more it was just the perfect car for the buyer and they wanted more that having the money in the bank!
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    Genuine VN SS manual atlas grey
    HX LE Coupe project

Send through the plate info purely for our database records.
    Everyone is correct - real value is determined by the purchaser and how much the seller will agree on to sell.
    A couple photos of exterior and interior would be very helpful as we could provide some advice on how 'original' it really is.

I've had people say they have an original untouched factory HX Sandman, and it turns up with HJ mirrors, gts guards and quad light nose cone. 40 years is a long time in car history

Cruiser
    its been siting around for a while things may have seized 10 to 15 I reckon it needs money spent on it good luck

Learner Driver
    Thanks, It needs a total brake overhaul I'd say and the front end suspension needs a rebuild. Tyres, Transmission, well that's anyones guess. How much for a rebuild on a turbo 400? The list goes on. I can see now 20K would be to much. At present I just want a driver, it would make a good work vehicle definately no intentions of a total restoration. Just didn't want to pay top dollar.

Thread Information