Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HJ fascia repair and paint

He doesn't log on much and is doing carpentry work right now. Might not have his stuff set up for repairs at the moment.

Learner Driver
    Ok thanks. If you do happen to hear from him can you let him know, thanks

Leadfoot
    Trimfix in Gisborne Victoria does an excellent repair on plastic parts. He teaches around the country on doing that sort of work

HI Scuba I got in touch with Absinth last week for you. He is flat out bunying golf carts and settling into his new job as a caravan park manager. He promised he'll get online and reply but you can imagine he's taken over the business and wants to get it off to a good start.

Alternatively there are some other commercial businesses that do repair work, so if you are time stretched then you could check them out.

Hi Absinth, I have tried contacting you a number of times regarding fascia repair but I havent heard back? I was hoping that you still did fascia repairs, if so please let me know. If you are not then could I ask you a question as I will then have to attempt the refurbishment myself, on your video you said that the dash is painted in portland grey and then painted in suede black, how do you mask off the portland grey front highlights in readiness to paint black? your assistance is greatly appreciated. Fred

Hi Fred,

sorry for not replying but I have been pretty busy the last 8mths with a new business and other projects. As much as I would like to do more I just don't have the time for other people's dash repairs and to be honest got sick of being sent really poor condition fascias and being expected to do them on the cheap because "you can buy a brand new repro fascia for $220".

With the masking, I use blue painters masking tape and a sharp hobby knife.... It just takes a lot of patience to carefully trim the masking tape around the edges of the grey areas.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thanks Sean.
    I have three fascias at home in various condition but only one HJ fascia and this is what I am repairing. Its in good condition and the only cut out is the radio which was cut out more vertically to accepted an early style tape deck (so the radio knob holes are still intact). Your video is very informative and I will use this as my guide and experiment welding on the wrecked fascias first. Masking will take some time! and for the record I would be prepared to pay double that of a new repo fascia as they are not HJ ones.
    How did you apply the chrome band paint, and what is the paint name?

Thread Information