Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extractors to suit HJ manual with EFI

Extractors to suit HJ manual with EFI

Hi all.
    I have my HJ running efi 5.0 with aussie 4 speed with the original rat trap clutch mechanism. I want a decent set of extractors. Anyone have that combination. I cant find an off the shelf set that fit with that style of clutch.
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    Genuine VN SS manual atlas grey
    HX LE Coupe project

Sandman Guru
    You won't find any, probably as most people doing this conversion keep the 4L60/4L60E auto or use the T5 that came with the engine which means cable normally full cable clutch.

Yeah Im looking at doing this down the track. I certainly wont be leaving the rat trap setup in there. Everytime I push the clutch in it strains and creaks and Im waiting for it to snap! On the plus side though Ive probably got a muscley left leg! Going cable is one of the pluses! Ill be leaving my supra 5 speed in and hope Ill be able to sort out some extractors.

Fair enough, I had 6 supra 5 speed gearboxes in my van behind this engine... I now have a pile of 6 broken supra 5 speeds.. the toughened aussi 4 speed has way out lasted all the jap crap boxes and I have a speedo that works again Castle Headers advertise a set that's meant to fit and they assured me they will fit but I tried and the don't!

I am considering doing a hydraulic clutch conversion over a cable. Dellows make a good kit. little more expensive than the Castle main rod shop kit but from experience the CRS kit was crap.

My experience with cable vs Mechanical I've owned a few of each and the early commodores and actually like the mechanical. if its in good condition with no sloppy pins, good rubber bush at the top and adjusted spot on they work beautifully and light under foot. I'm running a super heavy duty clutch in the van and a standard heavy duty in the VN SS and the van is way lighter and better to operate. this is why I was trying to find a good set of extractors to fit. I was trying to find an off the shelf set to save time. (one of the reasons I found the CRS clutch kit and bell housing for the supra box crap was because you cant adjust it correctly but thats another story altogether)
    Last edited by razsandman; 18-06-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    HX LE Coupe project

For Hainzy - I had the VN 5.0 with supra 5 and the aussi 4 fitted with the factory VQ statesman style extractors. you just need to plug the o2 sensor hole because the sensor doesn't fit in that spot, weld another sensor mount on a different angle. then had a new system built from there back. I'll possibly be selling my complete old system if I can sort out a new system.
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    HX LE Coupe project

so ended up deciding to get the Dellows Hydraulic clutch conversion so I can fit the big pipes in
    loudness coming my way
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    HX LE Coupe project

A toughened aussie 4 speed must be a big improvement on a standard one they were crap

For speedway we used to machine out where the needle rollers ran and fit brass bushes. Tough as, removed one of the major weak spots of these boxes.

Was that in the cluster shaft its Over 20 years since I pulled one apart I reckon there would be five broken aussie boxes in the back of the shed

Mainly the lay shaft I think, having a bit of CRAFT at the moment. May have been in the clusters as well, anywhere there were needle rollers.

Thread Information