Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bumper?

Learner Driver

Which bumper?

I have bought a hx sandy which has been pillaged for anything in good nick. It has a plain chrome bumper which I need to replace. Question is, what did the original hx bumper look like. I have seen a lot of hx' with the rubber insert but I've also seen a lot without. Is there a 'Bumper Guide' lol ? Thinking they were statesman bumpers people changed over, like the twin fronts which are so common?
    Thanks.

Factory is chrome no rubber, no overriders.

Sandman Guru
    You could option the rubber strip though on most models, I think it was only the standard cab-chassis that you couldn't do it. I have seen some very original Sandman with the rubber strips but you'd never know unless you saw an original order form if they were assembly plant fitted or not.

this is so crazy. i had the exact question buzzing around in my head late yesterday and early today. thanks HK
    BQZ

Imho never liked the black rubber strip on the front bumper simple fact is the rear bumperettes dont have one it just looks odd

Sandman Driver
    Related question. Did bumperettes always come with the round bump stop rubbers? Or did some models come out without them?

Sandman Guru
    The only instance I can think of where the stop rubbers wouldn't be required is for Ambulance pack tonners (bumperettes provided for fitment to ambulance body) or for special order vans purchased for fitment with barn doors eg paddy wagon. I've never really taken enough notice though if any HQ-WB came without the rubbers, others here may have taken more notice. I have always assumed they all had them.

I had a mate back in 1976 that had a HJ sandman from brand new and it definitely had a rubber strip in the front bumper. Lots that I saw around the same time did as well, so it was an option for sure.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

This is the thread I remember about the bumper rubber.

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ed-Panelvan-ID

Sandman Guru
    I do remember finding somewhere in GMH literature that HZ Sandman couldn't be had with the bump strip, but I also have recently seen other literature that contradicts that for HZ. HJ definitely indicates that it was an option. I'm near to certain HX is the same as HJ.

Thread Information