Thread: HZ Sandman

HZ Sandman

I recently took a trip to Sydney to look over a Sandman I was thinking of buying some time ago in Orange NSW, now owned by a car yard in Sydney.
    They were asking $37900 so I had NRMA look it over and it was worth spending the $319, It had numerous (Tradesmen like repairs) quoted by NRMA with possible hidden rust also a great number of vehicle defects and parts fitted that would not comply with a road worthy.
    I'm glad I got NRMA to look the car over as it saved me making a big mistake, If the car was $25,000 I would still need to spend at least$20,000 on making it a half decent car to drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    X United Sandman Van Club Member

It's always great to have good information and to be well informed about a purchase .i didn't think this van had to much rust to start with as it spent most of it previous life in central Queensland (Quilpie)
    Rust is always a problem Even my van which was a bare metal resto with a lot of prep after 4 years has some rust bubbles appearing along the ute van join so I will shortly redo the side of the van. Jennie was over on a few occasions talking paint colours with the panel beater doing the resto, and he appeared to be doing it correctly.

Your top picture under lights looks 2pack but it is spayed in acrylic

It's much better to start with no rust at all like out red and green van if you can fine one
    There is a thread about this van when it was for sale in Orange
    Last edited by RodneyHZ253; 24-05-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Did anyone decide if this was a genuine HZ body as it appears to have no rear 1/4 indicators?

if its metal, it will rust.. no ifs or buts, it will rust if not prior, now or when the steel is 100yrs old, eventually it will rust

my mate has an FJ that he restored 30 years ago. rust repaired and bogged etc. 30 years down the track... no signs whatsoever of rust or cracked bog work anywhere. my 'top tips' DON'T WET/WASH YOUR CAR & KEEP IT VENTILATED! You don't see too many rusted out barn finds.

that blue van screams bodgie. imo i think it's a real bitsa. for $15,000-$23,000 i think is OK. close to $40k is taking the mickey
    BQZ

Some area's wouldn't show up with paint depth tool I and the NRMA used showing there was no metal but bog.
    X United Sandman Van Club Member

A real car is a steel car no ifs or buts. Lol classic not plastic.
    Sandmans alive forever

What defects does it have that would prevent rego?

I know in the past the NRMA have been a bit anal with inspections, for example a mates van was inspected and found to be defective for a lot of minor things like not having Belmont badges and a CB radio aerial on the drivers side (that would block vision!?!?). Also things like the temperature gauge didn't work.... like seriously, that's hardly a defect that should affect rego, but that's how they are (were).

I'd just be interested to know how tough they are now because that looks like a pretty good van....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information