Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ute respray costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    depends on the quality of finish and if you are going solid or metallic. 6L of good quality manderin will cost you around $600. Shit paint will be less than half that price. metallic is more as clear will cost you and prep needs to be better. if you go wet on wet it will be cheaper than putting the thing in high fill and blocking -again boils down to expectations.

There are really no 'mates rates' as painters don't work for free. You are just cutting the boss out and paying CASH... that's what gives you the impression you're getting 'mates rates'.

My advice is to take your car to your local industrial area (2nd tier commercial real estate will equate to cheaper price) and door knock. It will give you an idea about the type of cars they work on and the quality you can expect as you are there to see jobs in the flesh. a clean modern booth will be worth paying a little extra for.

cashie solid quick flick $2500 (no buff)
    cashie met quick flick $3000 (no buff)
    cashie solid quality $4500 (de-nib)
    cashie met quality $6000 (full buff)

flamdingo will confirm you get what you pay for.
    damn...might have to get you to do all our shops work, I cant even buy quality material for that!!

Quote Originally Posted by we wreck xx7s only View Post
    damn...might have to get you to do all our shops work, I cant even buy quality material for that!!
    old man had his HQ sedan done in metallic (not inside edges though) in De beer and fully buffed (pretty rough) for $2,500 around 12 months ago through a local business. Same shop will flick a full front bumper (off car) for a taxi in white for $150 inc materials...

personally i don't think materials are expensive but i don't pay retail either. my panel beater can keep a piece of sand paper going forever! good tradesman work efficiently and don't waste much
    BQZ

Cruiser
    cam syd shop around heaps of sharks out there ten should get you a great job my quotes for mine 22 25 32 35 haha

depends on the quality of finish and if you are going solid or metallic. 6L of good quality manderin will cost you around $600. Shit paint will be less than half that price. metallic is more as clear will cost you and prep needs to be better. if you go wet on wet it will be cheaper than putting the thing in high fill and blocking -again boils down to expectations.

There are really no 'mates rates' as painters don't work for free. You are just cutting the boss out and paying CASH... that's what gives you the impression you're getting 'mates rates'.

My advice is to take your car to your local industrial area (2nd tier commercial real estate will equate to cheaper price) and door knock. It will give you an idea about the type of cars they work on and the quality you can expect as you are there to see jobs in the flesh. a clean modern booth will be worth paying a little extra for.

cashie solid quick flick $2500 (no buff)
    cashie met quick flick $3000 (no buff)
    cashie solid quality $4500 (de-nib)
    cashie met quality $6000 (full buff)

flamdingo will confirm you get what you pay for.
    $6000 for a met quality id like to see that paint job in 12 months time seriously
    good material cost good money yes you can use Protec cheap shit products but the old saying you get what you pay for
    dont kid yourself

old man had his HQ sedan done in metallic (not inside edges though) in De beer and fully buffed (pretty rough) for $2,500 around 12 months ago through a local business. Same shop will flick a full front bumper (off car) for a taxi in white for $150 inc materials...

personally i don't think materials are expensive but i don't pay retail either. my panel beater can keep a piece of sand paper going forever! good tradesman work efficiently and don't waste much
    there you go, you said it in one word " debeer"....

good tradesmen rarely use debeer also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    $6000 for a met quality id like to see that paint job in 12 months time seriously
    good material cost good money yes you can use Protec cheap shit products but the old saying you get what you pay for
    dont kid yourself
    x 2 here. ppl still have the $2.5k paint job mentality that was available in the ole acrylic in 1975, just dunn happen anymore these days.

My panel van (panel and paint) job is going to top 20k guaranteed. I've had to smash our piggy bank and then some to do this, but I'm happy its heading in the right direction...but never again. Next project car will be a drive in and out paint job, not a ground up nut and bolt concourse version.

metallic quality, not metallic show. i put quick flick as 'car yard spec'. quality is 'neat weekender' and show is 'show'. show quality is an open cheque book and hundreds of hours. I can go to any show and pick the guts out of 95% of the paint jobs. i reckon you just need to have a realistic expectation of what you get for your money. not much in, not much out. 99% of the population see a shiny car and think it has a great paint job. Here at mysandman we are the 1% that expect perfection for our bunky old commercials.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah the bloke that uses de beer is rough. just using that as an actual legit bit of evidence to back up my figures....
    BQZ

You got to remember the paint job is the easy part its how good the prep is done that determines how good the paint work will look like when its done

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    You got to remember the paint job is the easy part its how good the prep is done that determines how good the paint work will look like when its done
    So true! I can throw a couple of coats of paint on in a few hours, but the prep to get a good finish that will last and last seems never-ending.

And I haven't bought wet and dry in bulk for a while and was shocked recently how expensive it is now. Paint (even acrylic which I still use) and consumables have gone up a lot. Donna and I had dinner at a restaurant in town last night with a local panel beater and his wife and he's ordering some acrylic for me for the LC Torana bootlid (Mum backed into a pole at the IGA!) and he's getting it for me at cost. Still expensive though!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    It's true what they say though, you cant turn poop into gold but you can roll it in glitter to make it sparkle!

Thread Information