Thread: Repo ignition switches

P Plater

Repo ignition switches

Working on the 77 HX, bought a complete set of repo door locks and ignition switch tumbler with matching keys. Went to install the ignition switch last night and wasn't too happy with the fit! The little black plastic tab that is meant to hold the switch in place seems to have much less tension than my original GM switch but more importantly is about .075" (2mm) further away from the chrome end where the key goes in. Once in position, you can pull the chrome escutcheon in and out about 3.5mm. Is there more than one manufacturer of these ignition switches or are all the repo's the same?

If you have the original ignition I can cut the keys to code using genuine key blanks. It should have a four digit code on it.
    Likely a number/letter/number/number.

just checking innuendo can you still get the original hz gmh keys with the black plastic section

Quote Originally Posted by XX7SANDMN View Post
    just checking innuendo can you still get the original hz gmh keys with the black plastic section
    Sorry mate, I don't have any of those left. The HQ-early HZ steel keys will fit the ignition but no plastic head. I do have very limited numbers of plastic covers for the steel head keys.

P Plater
    Thanks for the offer on the keys, I still have the keys that came with the car, they haven't been lost. I think I'll just stick the original back in and use it instead of the repo. Lesson learned!

P Plater
    Innuendo, I'll take you up on your offer, after I took a good look at the keys that came with the car, they are pretty worn. I'd like to get 2 keys made for my original switch. The switch has 1B98 stamped on the housing. I've actually got some Australian cash here from customers ending cash for catalogs over the years! Let me know what I owe you and your address and I'll mail you some money. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by don3527 View Post
    Innuendo, I'll take you up on your offer, after I took a good look at the keys that came with the car, they are pretty worn. I'd like to get 2 keys made for my original switch. The switch has 1B98 stamped on the housing. I've actually got some Australian cash here from customers ending cash for catalogs over the years! Let me know what I owe you and your address and I'll mail you some money. Thanks for the help!
    Private message sent.

Thread Information