Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman?

Learner Driver

HQ Sandman?

Hi New to the group and have a 5/74 Panelvan with the following... MODEL HQ80270, BODY,315148B, TRIM 1881 30B, PAINT 567 15823. and m20 box. All I know is it was imported into NZ in 1979 from AU and someone had reversed the bonnet and fitted a valiant charger fuel cap into the side(:. its in a pretty bad way but worth doing.Can any one tell me about it??? Thanks.

It's a V8 made Belmont Van made in Brisbane Acacia Ridge, Safron in colour with Black interior (Bucket seats). It is a likely Sandman but more information is needed.

Learner Driver
    That was quick! thanks.What would you like to know?

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    It's a V8 made Belmont Van made in Brisbane Acacia Ridge, Safron in colour with Black interior (Bucket seats). It is a likely Sandman but more information is needed.
    Wouldn't it have xx7 on tags if it was brissy build? Even on hqs ?

You would need to confirm console mounts, evidence of original blackouts. Show images of the three tags and chassis number.
    Does it have all the original GTS gear, Dash, Guards, Steering wheel etc. What the maximum KPH read on the speedo. What colour is the grill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    Wouldn't it have xx7 on tags if it was brissy build? Even on hqs ?
    Yes, that is probable.

Learner Driver
    will post photos tommorrow,Console mounts? The dash is GTS and 140 MPH but no front gaurds or grill. Without the xx7 its not likely but because it was imported I would like to know more about it.

Sandman Guru
    Being imported means nothing regarding XX7 stamped on the tag, although I have found them where they haven't stamped them for some reason. The only unique feature for a HQ XX7 van if it is a manual is the seat separator / console rear mount.

Note I have another Acacia Ridge Saffron HQ Sandman plated 1/74 without XX7 so this may possibly be a second.

Two things: That is why I say "probable" and the import was 1979 from Australia and not when new.

Sandman Guru
    I wasn't questioning your statement, it was the OP's idea that it may be an Acacia Ridge Sandman without XX7 as it was imported to NZ.
    I did miss the 1979 bit but overall it doesn't matter really - in 1979 a 253 HQ Sandman van or a 253 4spd HQ van would be worth about the same, the Sandman probably cheaper in those days as it'd be dearer to insure for many. It would be like a 5yo SS ute today vs an SS Thunder ute - swings and roundabouts in value.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for your answers,Mine also has electric windows,Is that a common thing? The console had been removed when I got it. Bugger.

Thread Information