Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HQ Sandman?

Learner Driver
    I have applied to our MVR to find whoever bought it in and why you would bother if it was already 5 years old and only a panel van. All that aside Cant wait to get it done after looking at other members wagons.

Sandman Guru
    Electric windows have been added later. As I said 5 years old there would be little difference in value between a Sandman and a V8 Belmont van with 4spd. You'd just buy whichever was in the best condition - just like a 2010 VE SS or SS Thunder ute.

features for features you're probably right but if you have a stockie SS with no fruit I think a Thunder will always sell for more.
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    I disagree, at 5 years old an SS with low kM in great condition will more than likely pull more buyers than higher kM with more wear in an SS Thunder. The only difference from memory was 19" wheels over 18" (probably changed by now anyway), Satnav (old tech 5 years later) and some leather on the seat sides. Plus you'd tend to buy what is near to you. HQ would have been the same, plus back then a Sandman van was often far dearer to insure than a Belmont van.

What exactly was it the Thunder got over the SS? Wheels and badges?
    My '02 VY SS had some things that Adam's '06 VZ SSZ didn't get and Troy's '06 VZ also didn't have step plates nor the matching sports pedal foot rest.

Sandman Guru
    From memory 19" VE SSV wheels, the Holden Satnav and leather-ish edges on the seats. Bugger all really, but cheaper than optioning 19" wheels and Satnav on an SS. I think it was like $1000 more retail for the Thunder over the SS in VEII. Very much like a HQ Sandman was, if you optioned M20, U21, N66 and XS6 on a HQ V8 Belmont van then paid the dealer to fit a sports wheel to it you'd find it'd be dearer than a Sandman and you'd still be missing the guards, console shift (plus black paint on body and grille/surrounds), stripes and speedo (if that bothered you). Plenty were sold though talking to buyers and dealers as the extra cost was easily swallowed by higher insurance on the "sports" version. We've found a fair few L31 M21 Monaro coupes over the years as well where people ordered a decent driveline but not on a GTS, to avoid higher insurance.

Yeah I was really talking VZ Thunder over SS or SSZ.
    I don't believe it was anything more than wheels and badges. Of course they were 6.0 Litre when introduced over the 5.7 Litre of the run out SSZ.
    No Statnav in VZ.

Sandman Guru
    I never looked at VZ's, I only really took interest in the VE's but didn't buy one as it wasn't able to tow anything more than a big box trailer.

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Being imported means nothing regarding XX7 stamped on the tag, although I have found them where they haven't stamped them for some reason. The only unique feature for a HQ XX7 van if it is a manual is the seat separator / console rear mount.

Note I have another Acacia Ridge Saffron HQ Sandman plated 1/74 without XX7 so this may possibly be a second.
    Byron,
    Was the other one a hq ute?

Thread Information