Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upper tailgate closing issues

That's a weird one for sure.

Try what Maysik says and reverse everything, although it seems strange because you've used 2 sets of hinges with the same result.

There's an answer for sure, we just need to work it out!!!!

Hinges can be a pain, take bonnet hinges for example..... The more you think you have to adjust them one way, it's actually the other! So try pushing the tailgate hinges towards the back of the van instead of the front. Something real simple is going to be the answer.

Keep trying and resist the urge to bend anything because that IS NOT the answer!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

My van had the same issues trying to align the upper tailgate, although yours appears to be a lot further out (when closed) than mine. I reckon the hinges could need a bit of panel beating as mine did due to age or someone else tinkering with them. The items i would think about, would be the angles of the bent flat bar and the length of slot on the four mounting holes. If you follow the earlier suggestion on aligning the tail gate, try doing this without the hinges attached. Get the tail gate sitting perfectly in position without hinges and then position each hinge by hand to see where the angles and dimensions differ.

It wouldn't surprise me if the heavy flat bar that makes up the hinge is in need of a bit of adjustment or a bit more hole slotting helps pull the gate in.

I would be keen to see the tailgate hinges in a shot like I did, get a better idea.

its funny you mention the flat bar angle, as when we pushed the door closed with the bolts loose that secure the flat bar to the door and nipped the bolts up by hand they sat about 2mm out at the bottom of the flat bar...once I started tightening them up properly it actually pushed the tailgate out further the tighter it got.
    @Maysik the hinges are they same as in your pic. I didnt pull them apart at all and slotted them back in exactly as they were.
    I have borrowed a tailgate off a mate and im going to try that to see if its my tailgate mounting points....maybe at some stage they were bent or repaired and not done to the correct angle??? anyway ill have to try that and see.
    Off to Bathurst tomorrow so ill need to try this tues arvo...
    All else failing i might be able to make up a shim to take up that 2mm gap at the bottom of the flatbar and keep it level?
    anyway ill keep you posted on developments....
    Any more suggestions are welcome!!!!
    thanks

- - - Updated - - -

oh and can someone please take a pic of the direction/position of their tailgate rubber seal...when i put mine back on i want to be sure its the right way around.
    thanks guys.

Shim is a good idea if all else fails, but it's strange that you are having the same problem with 2 totally different sets of hinges. We will sort this out for sure, it can't be a unique problem.

Those hinges are pretty robust, I can't imagine them bending much unless someone backed into something solid with the tailgate open!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Not all upper hinges are equal. HK for example look similar to HQ but are not the same. Yet will bolt in.

Leadfoot
    If you go to the Rare Spares web site and look at the video on fitment you can see the correct way the seal should sit. While this is an EH fitment the profile should sit the same.http://www.rarespares.net.au/shedtal...id=VtY0KqIhr1U

So, how did the tailgate pan out?
    All good I hope?

Haven't had a chance yet. Hopefully tomorrow arvo. Fingers crossed.

Double post

Thread Information