Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry's HJ Ute

Learner Driver
    Hi just been to the ute and got these numbers off the plates,
    Eng No; 308H23280 Model; HJ8WM80 Body; 521860M Trim; 1886-19V Paint;568-15949
    Chassis; 8M8OTFJ521860 CompPlate; 03/76 GVM; 1860 Eng; L31 Trans;M21 Rear Axle;GV4
    Can you please help me to identify if this a Sandman.
    Regards,
    Barry.

Sandman Guru
    It probably is one, but it may not be too - you cannot tell from the ID plates. Engine is from a HT or HG.

Learner Driver
    Hi HK,
    How can I tell if it is a real Sandman??
    Regards,
    Barry

Sandman Guru
    Almost impossible on a HJ ute. Console mounts have to be original. Original body blackouts will be the only other telltales. Your best hint is the reduced GVW so if it isn't a Sandman it is an XU4 which is less probable than a Sandman XX7.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    It probably is one, but it may not be too - you cannot tell from the ID plates. Engine is from a HT or HG.
    Would be pretty close to the change over date Ht to Hg. I'd be interested in the date code on the front top of the block Barry. As to your earlier question Barry, if the motor is going to need rebuilding, you'd probably be better off buying a QT prefix block from the time of your car and selling the 308H block and you'll probably end up with change. Whilst the QT won't be the original engine being period correct will be better. Overall won't hurt your resale too much.

Sandman Guru
    Barry
    Can you check the compliance date? PSN is almost too late to be 3/76 (but still possible due to a delays on a particular vehicle either being started or something happening during the build process). Chassis number should tell the story - high BHJ13xxx and lower BHJ14xxx seem to be mostly 3/76. Higher BHJ14xxx and low BHJ15xxx appear mostly in 4/76.

Learner Driver
    Hi,Gentlemen,
    The date code on top of the block is H180, the Comp date is definatley 03/76
    I will go back and try to get the chassis No of the chassis.
    Thank you very for your help.
    Barry.

Might be worth checking out the HT engine as they were SLR 5000 engines so someone may be looking for it to complete their car.are you sure about the date code on the engine being H180 that would make the engine 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna Do View Post
    Might be worth checking out the HT engine as they were SLR 5000 engines so someone may be looking for it to complete their car.are you sure about the date code on the engine being H180 that would make the engine 1980.
    Barry's mentioned 2 engine numbers in this post, the date code is for the 308H engine, 1970. As you say the HT prefix engine would be sought after for toranas

Thanks Sandaro i was a bit confused.

Thread Information