Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HQ Sandman 308 speedo the correct one please.

Mine is Chestnut as well. Yes I agree it looks strange with the black steering wheel. Like the wheel has just been added randomly. Pity they didn't colour code them like the WB.

I always thought the HJ GTS with a brown dash pad looked weird back in the day as well... like it didn't fit.

I have seen 39B with the column black and I think that looks much better but I'm not going to do it. The only bit I'm not sure of is the centre console. I have seen pictures of them with coloured and black on non-black interiors. I think that picture Ozbox took was the most original 39B Sandman insides I have seen so Ill stick with that.... beside the rubber floor coverings that is. (and the indicator knob should be chestnut too.)

Black interiors are so much easier than colours... bit like a woman on the way out for the night... LBD and all's right for the night! :-)

Mauser

What's what to paint in a 39B
    39BPaint.jpg

Colour coded wheel
    wbsteeringwheel.jpg
    Last edited by mauser; 24-03-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    That is a good trim coding scan, it is missing 38J though which is odd as all the other 1973-4 HQ commercial trim codes are there. I like the UC/WB wheel on the HQ but the colour is wrong (looks like Dark Buckskin).

It's a rockin'
    I have been wondering about correct speedo too,I have four HQ GTS dashes and the only one that seems to be correct is the one in my GTS coupe,the dash in my sons HQ prem appears factory as does the one in my HQ van but they both have 200kmh speedo's in them and the needle is also different,so if you ordered a HQ with optional GTS dash did they just put a standard speedo in them?

Sandman Guru
    Yes, only GTS and Sandman (and possibly SS) got the 140mph speedo

[ATTACH=CONFftIG]12747[/ATTACH]this is my dash in my hq sandman 220 kms i also have another hq sandman with 220 speedo ive tried to upload picture of the second one but uploads failing,both are dandenong built sandman utes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Im not an expert & don't pretend to be one, but im sure I was told by holden years ago that 140 mph speedos were available in factory 308 vehicles....& sure ive seen heaps of original 4 door GTS 253s with standard speedos in GTS dashes. cheers Max

We have a previous thread where we discussed speedos in full I remembered. :-)

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ght=hq+speedos

Mauser

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    Im not an expert & don't pretend to be one, but im sure I was told by holden years ago that 140 mph speedos were available in factory 308 vehicles....& sure ive seen heaps of original 4 door GTS 253s with standard speedos in GTS dashes. cheers Max
    I'm sure you could of ordered one through spare parts but the 140mph/220kph speedos were in the GTS models and the Sandman. Noticing that the needle in those are the only ones to match the Tacho.

I think we even determined that the '72 SS had the standard speedo as well.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    by GTS I meant coupes, not sure if Kingswood GTS (sedan) got 140mph speedo. I think you are right Mauser, SS was the 120mph/200

Thread Information