Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 81 WB Van Build

Love those black wheels
    Mate had a 202 (210)blue motor with the VK efi with a supercharger in a LJ 2 door torana
    Auto 9 inch went like a rocket
    keep us updated as im a bit of a fan on the holden 6
    cheers G.

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    HJ buckets won't fit the WB bolt holes either. Keep an eye on using earlier series stuff in WB as they have a lot of metric bolts such as seat belts and seat mounts. Already aware of this, it's not too much trouble to just make more mounts up and get them engineered accordingly, I'll look out for the metric bolt thing too
    Attachment 12712
    I know it's a bad resolution photo and this was in 94, but V5 Simmons on a 83 WB ute. So I guess bigger size rims will look similar. Personally I don't think 20" wheels really suit older style cars. But the beauty of cars is to build them how you want to.That looks rad, I pretty much want something like those but with a black lip, although Simmons are crazy expensive these days. Going to use 17" max, I'm not a fan of huge wheels on any car, smaller wheels are easier to spin

- - - Updated - - -

The sedan diff is a coil set up. You would need to mount leaf spring mounts to the diff. Can be done but easier just to use a ute/van diff.
    Discs open you up to other issues with the hand brake as well. Plus you need to change the master cylinder to suit. It's all been done and is quite do-able.
    Already have the mounts to do convert it from coil to leaf so it's nothing we aren't aware of. Already have a master cylinder to suit too, as for the handbrake issues I suppose we'll work it out when it comes to it hahaha
    10 char...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Love those black wheels
    Mate had a 202 (210)blue motor with the VK efi with a supercharger in a LJ 2 door torana
    Auto 9 inch went like a rocket
    keep us updated as im a bit of a fan on the holden 6
    cheers G.
    That would be a rocket, in such a light car too. Dads mate runs 10's in his turbo 202 LJ.
    I'll keep the updates coming!
    Last edited by guitar1234; 16-03-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar1234 View Post
    10 char...

And also, if all fails, there is another motor built for this under a bench at home, a stroked 304.
    wbute answered the diff thing.

The rods are the same spec only as a 1973 (150 list) XU1, the rest of XU1 are the same crank and rods as a normal red 202. The blue/black 202 crankshaft is very different to a red 202 crank.

The actual concept or effective cc of the turbo or blown 202 isn't the rego issue with a WB. It is the emissions or pollution equipment problem, ie compliance with ADR27A, 27B or 27C depending what compliance the WB chassis you have is (AWB, BWB, CWB etc). The reason the stock EFI 304/350 or the blown V6 easily comply is they are a later emissions requirement and automatically comply. The stroked 304 (which will be a 330-ish ci or 350ci engine) will probably have the same issues unless you dress it up with all original WB V8 pollution equipment. The easiest way around it all is to change out the chassis for a HQ or HJ one!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    wbute answered the diff thing.

The rods are the same spec only as a 1973 (150 list) XU1, the rest of XU1 are the same crank and rods as a normal red 202. The blue/black 202 crankshaft is very different to a red 202 crank.
    Interesting, so really there is no advantage to using the black rods and crank we already have, better off using different rods and crank, or do you think the black gear will work fine for our application? (only planning to run 9psi)
    The actual concept or effective cc of the turbo or blown 202 isn't the rego issue with a WB. It is the emissions or pollution equipment problem, ie compliance with ADR27A, 27B or 27C depending what compliance the WB chassis you have is (AWB, BWB, CWB etc). The reason the stock EFI 304/350 or the blown V6 easily comply is they are a later emissions requirement and automatically comply. The stroked 304 (which will be a 330-ish ci or 350ci engine) will probably have the same issues unless you dress it up with all original WB V8 pollution equipment. The easiest way around it all is to change out the chassis for a HQ or HJ one!
    I think Dad had already worked this out, but I suppose I'll run it by him. As for a Chassis swap I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to do, it's not like they aren't everywhere. So really its because the chassis is newer that the car is subject to stricter emission standards?
    10 char...

Sandman Guru
    There is an advantage in using the black crank and rods, especially the rods as they are stronger. They aren't the same as XU1 though and aren't forged (the rods are very close to the last of the XU1's).

Yes, the emissions get nasty at HX for modified engines. HQ and HJ are far easier.

Black motor rods and crank will be fine at 9psi, although you just know you won't be happy with that once you get used to it. Then when you change a couple of pulleys and get it up in the revs you may have issues.

It's revs that kill blown motors, not so much the boost because you only see the boost when you wind the motor out a bit.

All in all I like your concept for the van, and ditch the bench.... buckets give you a much more comfortable driving position if you are taller than 5' 6".
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Black motor rods and crank will be fine at 9psi, although you just know you won't be happy with that once you get used to it. Then when you change a couple of pulleys and get it up in the revs you may have issues.
    I suppose if its already apart it may be worth investing in forged rods and a better crank and just changing boost as I get used to it
    It's revs that kill blown motors, not so much the boost because you only see the boost when you wind the motor out a bit.

All in all I like your concept for the van, and ditch the bench.... buckets give you a much more comfortable driving position if you are taller than 5' 6".
    10 char...

- - - Updated - - -

that must be new here

I thought you were stuttering!

Kids...

It 4 Char here mate.

Thread Information