Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glove box locks

im saying that no one can possibly say something is original..simple as that..too many variations to argue an originality factor..

Learner Driver

steering wheel and cover

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    goin by that picture it has the thick spoke wheel.5 mil..which is not right for an hz..that cap matches that wheel and both are right for hj and some hx as per another topic on gts wheels which is here somewhere..

--- Updated ---

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...teering+wheels

this thread will answer your questions...
    Thanks for your help. Just to confirm before i pull my car apart again. My 11/77 HZ has a 3mm gts steering wheel with a HX horn button, chrome glove box lock, chrome single prong ignition barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by hzsman77 View Post
    Hi there,

I have a 11/77 HZ an trying to bring it back to orignal spec. The steering in your car is it a thick metal or thin metal sports steering wheel and in your picture is that the correct steering wheel cover or is it the one with the holden logo disk in the centre.
    many thanks hzsman77
    ps there's pic of my car in the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    goin by that picture it has the thick spoke wheel.5 mil..which is not right for an hz..that cap matches that wheel and both are right for hj and some hx as per another topic on gts wheels which is here somewhere..
    this is the image originally posted and questioned above by hzsman77, it is of my van from about 2004

I've double checked the information in the steering wheel forum against my adr compliance plate, and my vehicle should not comply with ADR 25A as it is not listed. it only has 25 and 27A (security locks and Emissions control).

it also says in the thread that the 3mm wheel was in use from Jan 1978, when both hzsman77's van and my van were built in november of 77. albeit his is adelaide build and mine was dandenong.

in regards to the horn cover, i am aware that the HZ did have the not so nice looking cover, I know 3 of the previous 4 owners of my panelvan, giving me information back to 1986ish, in the earliest picture i've seen of the van the horn cover is the hexbolt cap. yes 10 years is a fair window for someone to have changed it.

further to my belief that the non hex bolt caps were fitted as a part of ADR 25A and that early HZ's (until jan 78) had the hj/x cap is the sales brochure itself showing the older cap
    http://mysandman.com.au/images/broch...Brochure05.jpg

I currently have my NOS 3mm wheel on the car as it is better than any 5mm wheel i own, this was purchased by my uncle in feb of 1978 to go on his HZ kingswood and it included the hj/x horn cap. in keeping with the earliest picture of my van and to be accurate to sales documentation i have kept the hj/x horncap.

ski man
    Last edited by the ski man; 10-04-2011 at 02:26 PM.

The van pictured in the HZ sales brochure is a HX that was changed a bit to represent a HZ for the photo shoot.

You cannot use it as a reference for restoring a HZ......
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Learner Driver
    Thanks for your help everybody, I am now a bit closer to factory specs.

HZ steering wheel

Does this help hzsman77

HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information