Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Never seen a maloo "sandman" Gumtree

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    It wasn't ever ordered this way new. So the 93K must be his build cost (or claim).

Just goes to show Holden, Holden By Design, Holden Special Vehicles Individual and Holden Special Vehicles are all pretty much the same thing set up differently.
    HBD are the ones who named the conversion as the Sandman canopy in the advertising. But as we know never did they market them as Sandmans per se.

Whatever the case they tickle my fancy. Still not a huge fan of HSV styling though!
    Thinking about it more its is probably more like HBD sits across any brands sold by GM Holden Ltd, sort of like Nasco sat across GMH brands like Holden, Torana, Bedford etc or TRD sits across Toyota, Scion and Lexus. Essentially HBD being the accessory arm of GM Holden Ltd. The reason it confused me initially was I thought HBD was originally setup to replace the "HSV modified" or whatever it was in the VN era where you got the HSV 180kW V8 engine in say a VN SS, so that it divorced the Holden brand and the HSV brands properly but you could still get the "HSV" engine in later Commodore and Calais as a HBD option. However now it appears to (at least by the time HSV were fitting canopies) be something more.
    In the 1999 VSIII ute brochure there isn't much HBD stuff, just the 195kW engine, the 16x7 wheels with 205/55/16 tyres and the iD series kit. There are a few items also shown as H/A translated as HBD accessory (stuff like cruise, power antenna etc) which I can only assume is dealer/aftermarket fitment rather than fitted in the HBD area at the end of the Elizabeth assembly plant?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    It wasn't ever ordered this way new. So the 93K must be his build cost (or claim).

Just goes to show Holden, Holden By Design, Holden Special Vehicles Individual and Holden Special Vehicles are all pretty much the same thing set up differently.
    HBD are the ones who named the conversion as the Sandman canopy in the advertising. But as we know never did they market them as Sandmans per se.

Whatever the case they tickle my fancy. Still not a huge fan of HSV styling though!
    Thinking about it more its is probably more like HBD sits across any brands sold by GM Holden Ltd, sort of like Nasco sat across GMH brands like Holden, Torana, Bedford etc or TRD sits across Toyota, Scion and Lexus. Essentially HBD being the accessory arm of GM Holden Ltd. The reason it confused me initially was I thought HBD was originally setup to replace the "HSV modified" or whatever it was in the VN era where you got the HSV 180kW V8 engine in say a VN SS, so that it divorced the Holden brand and the HSV brands properly but you could still get the "HSV" engine in later Commodore and Calais as a HBD option. However now it appears to (at least by the time HSV were fitting canopies) be something more.
    In the 1999 VSIII ute brochure there isn't much HBD stuff, just the 195kW engine, the 16x7 wheels with 205/55/16 tyres and the iD series kit. There are a few items also shown as H/A translated as HBD accessory (stuff like cruise, power antenna etc) which I can only assume is dealer/aftermarket fitment rather than fitted in the HBD area at the end of the Elizabeth assembly plant?

At the end of the day, a HSV Maloo Ute would have gone via HSVi/HBD to the official canopy supplier (outsourced) at the time FTP Pty Ltd (Now AMCAT).
    From FTP back to HSVi/HBD to be plated and then of the Holden/HSV dealer for delivery.

Sandman Guru
    Probably the same as the sunroofs and rear wings (on CV8), a lot of those would have been added to stock vehicles rather than when they were built and in some cases probably by an outsourced company or a dealer owned enterprise. I wonder if the Maloos that got the canopy were stock vehicles or customer order vehicles (ie drawn from vehicles already built for sale or built for the customer)?

She's says SOLD on Gumtree

hsv_vz_van_02.jpg

Who bought it?

Hope to see it around.

Learner Driver
    I wish. Yeah saw that today

it was on facebook group.. showing the whole build. it was the maloo ute. he bought a 2nd hand white sandman and transferred the roof onto the maloo
    EVEN THE YOUNG GIRLS LOVE SANDMANS!

Thread Information