Page 21 of 60 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: VF Sandman wagon and ute

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I love how stickers and left over bits are considered not a sandman now but in 74 to 79 it was ok. The old Sandmans were no more than a parts bin special with a sticker kit. They were built to be a cheap sales maker. Just like the VF Sandman.
    True, but the difference is that the original Sandman was built because of demand, or even necessity, due to the panel van craze. Holden cashed in by selling people vans that they were building anyway using GTS parts. When you look at all the upgrades an original Sandman has over a Belmont, there is a significant improvement.

In this case there is almost none....

And nobody asked for these new things either. (Or if they did, they asked for a van!)
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Each to own but i cant see them being collectable just like most modern cars

Wally
    Think I'll get out my cold chisel a hammer and a sandstone block.............. Just realised my iPad is not a 'real' tablet

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I love how stickers and left over bits are considered not a sandman now but in 74 to 79 it was ok. The old Sandmans were no more than a parts bin special with a sticker kit. They were built to be a cheap sales maker. Just like the VF Sandman.
    I agree it is a sales maker, but for 250 cars? I still struggle to believe that it would be limited to 250 if they all sell quickly.

They will still be a Sandman, but as Big Rob says all the bits that made up a Sandman in the original Sandman idea (buckets, guards, dash, wheels, console shift) are already there on an SS-V and SV6. GMH should have called the original concept an SS ute or van, the only distinction being Sandman was available on 6cyl or V8 HQ models. So in essence the VF SV6 and SS utes are really more "Sandman" already than these new Sandmans are. So the idea of adding stripes to them and calling them Sandman isn't all that silly. We'll have to start tongue-in-cheek calling standard SS-V's a Sandman with DL7 stripes!

Banned
    nothing on the original Sandman could not have been optioned on a HZ or even WB. There was nothing unusual except for the stickers on a HZ or really any of the Sandmans. A HJ Kingswood Sandman ute is more or less the same as a VF Sandman ute.
    Limited to 250? How many HQ Sandmans did they build to test the waters?
    Holden cashed in on a craze in 74. They are cashing in on it again in 2015. What is the difference? Not much except that the craze they are cashing in on is the restoration of Sandmans, not the psnelvan craze. Perhaps we all like to live in the past to a degree. However Holden is trying to do something now and the majority just knock this idea. No wonder GM found it easy to pull the pin.

Sandman Guru
    That is essentially true, but the optional items weren't already standard on the base vehicle (wheels, dash, buckets, 4spd). Stripes were only a mandatory part of Sandman for less than an approx. 12 month period (start of HX to whenever DL7 was added) . Whereas all this stuff is already on the SV6, SS and SS-V as compared to the base ute. The Sandman was a sports utility, which is what the SV6 and SS already are. So all the new Sandman really is, is a numbered plate and stripes added to an already "sports utility" plus a couple of other optional items to give it some uniqueness. I'm not criticising the car, as it is the sensible way for Holden to do it - it would be essentially silly to add all the good stuff to a base ute as it is already there on SV6 and SS-V. My only criticisms are the wagon (which is a joke to me) and the stripe treatment isn't appealing to me. So I don't see the value in a VF Sandman ute - you are paying $53k when you can buy a bog standard SS-V for $45-$46k that has everything on it that you'd want considering why you'd have bought a HQ Sandman ute in 1974.

So ignoring the fact that we see the new Sandman as a marketing exercise. To me it says Holden sees the original Sandman as bright and gaudy. But it never was - it was about creating a "GTS" commercial vehicle which they already make and have made since 1998.
    Last edited by HK1837; 28-03-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    Yes the wagon is weird I agree. However they have revived the Sandman name and that is cool. Sandman wasn't all about the van craze as you say. It wasn't like they re-invented the wheel. The entire Holden range was built on one simple platform for the reason of building up a base model to a sports model for no extra cost to the company. It was a way to sell a sports version of the ute. The only specific Sandman part was the stickers. Now that's what they have done in 2015.
    Personally I think HSV has been selling the same idea with the Maloo since the early 90's. Holden really have no ute to build into a sports ute because they have been doing it since the SS in VS? Or thereabouts. So a sticker kit and badge are it.
    HSV took the ability of Holden to build a Sandman with the Maloo.
    Last edited by wbute; 28-03-2015 at 09:33 AM.

The wagon might be a bit weird but at least you would able to climb from the front seat into the back like original van unlike the Utes with canopies on them and it would be a nice touch if they were tagged XX7
    With only 250 to be made i would be surprised if you could get on a list to get one now even a day after there release
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

P Plater
    I like the idea of a VF Sandman. I did read they will be identified by a special id tag? For someone like me who probably hasn't the skills, time or space to restore a Sandman at least I have an option to buy a new one, and lets face it the cost to properly purchase and restore a car is up there (I know its an investment if done properly). Anyway I congratulate Holden for doing it.

You know in 30 to 40 years time, I can see the wagon being the collectable version. A V8 wagon with out there stripes, who would ever make that in Thailand. Enjoy Holden's while you can, only a year and a bit to go!

Remember in the 70's many didn't like the stripes hence the delete option. Maybe VF's might get sold like that, it will still have sandman in side.

Been looking at the difference in specs between the 1978 VB Commodore and the VF Commodore and after reading some of the comments on here I have come to the conclusion that the VF is not a 'REAL' Commodore. Come on fellas, this new sandman is like it has always been with Sandmans......it's all about the VIBE man !!!! The Alpha males can get on here and go bla bla bla about what's wrong with the VF Sandmans but in reality 40 years later one couldn't expect it to be the same. I'm just happy that Holden has given us the opportunity to have a car like this before they cease manufacturing here. I did ask the question once on here about how many of the regular contributors on here actually have a Sandman....... The silence was deafening. To those owners who can't prove conclusively that they have a Sandman, well it's not then? Holden have launched a new Sandman, it's plated a Sandman, it's a Sandman whether some like it or not. If you didn't take the advice a month ago and missed out or you can't afford one it's not the end of the world just don't let envy cloud your judgement. Some of us are thankful for this chance but remember it's all about the 'VIBE'. Just my thoughts. Cheers.
    Last edited by davegmh; 28-03-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Thread Information