Thread: Sandman Skateboard

Sandman Skateboard

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, but I've always loved Sandmans. I'm an avid skateboard collector and picked this up the other day and was wondering if anyone had any information?

Don't know if I should try and sell it or try and buy a Sandman to go with it...IMG_5549.JPGIMG_5546.jpgIMG_5548.JPG

Looks like someone just banged a sticker on that
    i have some old 70s skateboards never seen one like that before

Welcome aboard retroskatepunk

If its for sale, send me a PM ...i'm keen
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 09-02-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    If its for sale, send me a PM ...i'm keen
    Geez you got to be quick round here

It's definitely not a sticker. The logo is under the top layer of fiberglass, like a lot of the surfboard manufacturers did with their skateboards back in the day. And I'm no Sandman expert, but the pinstriping (again, underneath the fiberglass), seems to be an exact match for some of the pinstriping I've seen on the Sandmans (the photos may not show this too well).

Sandman sticker that's been glassed over by the looks.... We used to do all sorts of decals on our skateboards in the 70's, got the glass mat and resin from the local canoe shop.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Whatever.... it's pretty cool!!

That'd look great at a van show (that's right, we don't have them any more ) a car show, in the back of a van. Takes up a lot less room than a display-only surfboard.

I like it!

If you decide to sell it I'll buy it. PM me.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sandman Driver
    I've seen those before, I even recall seeing Sandman logos on timber bannana boards, way way way back, I would have been less than 10 years old at the time though. I'd imagine most would have got pretty hacked up. That one looks to be in pretty good nick, could have been made at any time though.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 25-02-2015 at 02:30 AM.

I have still have my first Skateboard and its made out of polypropylene afaik and was made in New Zealand off all places
    just replaced all the bushes with nolathane but its to deadly to ride at my age

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    I have still have my first Skateboard and its made out of polypropylene afaik and was made in New Zealand off all places
    just replaced all the bushes with nolathane but its to deadly to ride at my age
    Yeah gotta laugh, last time I decided I could still ride a skateboard I was carrying one belonged to a friend whilst walking down the hill on Queensbury St from Nth Melbourne headed toward Carlton. Decided I should ride it, jumped on just after Peel St, whoah, no balance to start out, held it but was moving pretty quick by the time Elizabeth St came rushing toward me, trams traffic and all where's the brakes?!! Then I remembered I could just jump off. Board stopped, I grabbed it - rather without the cool I think - but still grabbed it - walked the rest of the way. And that was ten years ago! I'd give it go still I reckon, but as a mode of transport the traffic gets in the way!

Thread Information