Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between XU3 and XX7

Sandman Guru
    Bingo.

Not bingo when it comes to Qld rego, back in the 70's and 80's in Qld it was far cheaper to register a commercial vehicle than a passenger vehicle. The panelvan was considered a commercial vehicle in Qld regardless of gvm.

Sandman Guru
    Regardless of how QLD did it, it is the case. QLD was a tiny market compared to NSW, and Victoria where the concept was originally designed for.

Back when Sandmans were new, nobody cared or even knew the GVM. Holden reduced it when they fitted the GTS wheels and passenger car tyres, replacing the heavy duty wheels and light truck style tyres.

Nobody cared because all you put in the back was a TV and some fur, or a couple of surfboards (or both).
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Back when Sandmans were new, nobody cared or even knew the GVM. Holden reduced it when they fitted the GTS wheels and passenger car tyres, replacing the heavy duty wheels and light truck style tyres.

Nobody cared because all you put in the back was a TV and some fur, or a couple of surfboards (or both).
    Fur was good

70's were the best of time's, I missed the 80's due to a mortgage, raising a family and working shift work to help pay for it all. As Big Rob mentioned no one cared about the GVM, the only number's or letter's that mattered were what was on the number plate.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

N66 rims have no relevance to GVW, only the tyres. The only heavy duty rims were on a cab-chassis. N66 rally rims were optional on any ute or van regardless of whether it was a 15.5, 14.5 or 10cwt load capacity.

People did care very much in the States where rego was based upon load carrying capacity, that is why XU4 were ordered and the new lower GVW Sandman package created in late 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    N66 rims have no relevance to GVW, only the tyres. The only heavy duty rims were on a cab-chassis. N66 rally rims were optional on any ute or van regardless of whether it was a 15.5, 14.5 or 10cwt load capacity.

People did care very much in the States where rego was based upon load carrying capacity, that is why XU4 were ordered and the new lower GVW Sandman package created in late 1975.
    I was only 17 when I got my 1st van and I had no idea (nor cared) what the load carrying capacity was. I paid the rego and drove the van. I think most people that bought a Sandman bought it for what is was, not because it had a lower rego cost.

Holden just needed to fit a wheel that looked better than a standard wheel and hubcap to go with the sports image, so the GTS wheel was the obvious choice. As I mentioned on other threads, almost everyone pulled off the GTS wheels and fitted mags straight away, in fact I had a bloke at my local servo offer me a set of 5 GTS wheels with the original tyres that he took off his Sandman when it was new and he has had them in the shed ever since. $800.00 seems like a good price to me!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Id be grabbing them wheels there would be no gutter rash on them

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Id be grabbing them wheels there would be no gutter rash on them
    Yeah, I'll grab them for sure. He said they still have the original caps and trim rings, the one that was under the van as the spare has some surface rust and inground dirt, but who cares?

I'll keep the wheels and if the tyres are still good, I'm sure someone building an authentic resto might want them.

Thread Information