Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me and my sand man 308 manual - now looking for another one!

Me and my sand man 308 manual - now looking for another one!

In 1974 I was living in Australia traveling around the country, I was driving an old Falcon in Sydney and it broke down, I had seen an HQ Sandman van outside Sutton's in Arncliffe, made some inquiries and shortly afterwards walked away with my brand new 308 Sandman manual - one of the first sold in Australia.

I traveled around Aus for 2 years and then bought it back with me to New Zealand, I believe it was one of, if not the first Sandman in the country at the time. I kept it for a few years and then sold it (sadly!)

I'm just finishing off restoring a 1972 Toyota Crown coupe which I've spent a few years on, and want to move onto my next project, a Holden Sandman - Ideally I'd like an HQ, but knowing how hard they are to find, I'm open to anything - whether it be in New Zealand or Australia, I'm not fussed - what's out there?

Ideally I'd like something which hasn't been restored, and it does have to be a genuine Sandman - please let me know what you got, either by replying here, or sending me an email to jpclauson@slingshot.co.nz

Thanks
    Robbo

Good story. Hope you can find what you're looking for.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Wonder what happened to your original one?

If he knows the plate number easy to hunt up to see if it is still around.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo_NZ View Post
    killer! such a sweet van. looks like it could tell a few stories

hope you find something. don't rush. plenty of buckets out there. it may take a couple years to find the right one
    BQZ

Love the wheels! No wonder everyone threw away the standard wheels and fitted them, they are just so cool and suit the large Holdens.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thanks davegmh. Certainly am endeavouring to find another one, it's proving to be a real challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

Am attempting to track it down through Land Transport NZ, but so far no result.

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping to hear something from Land Transport NZ soon. Thanks. Are you in NZ or Oz?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the encouragement for my search for another Sandman. Yes, lots of miles and lots of stories. Always good experiences for a young fella before settling down.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the comments. The ROH wheels were a must have back then. But now, the standard press wheels are probably worth more. (I gave mine away for three free car washes!)

Great memories Robbo. Good luck with the search. Great old photo too

Chrome yellow is there any other colour??, I received a phone from a friend of mine in Melbourne 2 weeks ago informing me he knows of someone down his way with a HQ Sandman for sale minus running gear, dash, wheels and apparently is a bit of a basket case rust wise hard to comment without actually seeing it in the flesh, it is windowless i think plated 308 black interior and lime green (the actual name of the colour I cant think of) he was basically fishing for an ideal on price I told him I thought by the sound of it would only be worth around the 3-4k mark if it was a basket case rust wise havent seen any pictures of it but could find out if it is available still and try and get some contact details if interested.

Thread Information