Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HQ Belmont Ute, 308, M21, Air all factory

Axle codes changed from HQ to HJ-Onwards and it catches people out!

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Axle codes changed from HQ to HJ-Onwards and it catches people out!
    Spot on. It actually changes from LH (first vehicles around 11/73). The bulletin explaining it that I have is dated 24/5/72. It says the universal code system was established by GM Corporate and is in use for 1973-4 models in the USA. They basically aligned the rear axle into a code for the ratio, where previously it also included the rear axle design. It gives some examples too of what existing rear axle ratios are now and will be:

2.92:1 old GU3 new GX9.
    3.08:1 old G93 new GU4.
    3.23:1 old GU2 new GU5.
    3.36:1 old G95 new GV4.
    3.55:1 old G91 new GV7.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I am pretty sure it was to do with fan driven compressor, engine speed etc. Engineering manuals explain it but it has been years since I saw them. A WB with 4.2 auto and GV4 is a 3.36 rear axle.
    Thanks, that explains why it's not revving it's guts out on the highway. I thought the diff must have been changed, although the old bloke I bought it from said everything was original.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

What a classic Ute, worth restoring just as is because it would be so rare as a special order.
    Nearly on the Road

Sandman Driver
    Agreed, awsome find, I'm loving the door trims, so rare these days, the interior looks well looked after. In terms of the rainex rustbuster product I hadn't seen it before, looked pretty impressive so I did a quick web search.

For those that are interested their website is here; http://www.bondall.com/rustbuster/Ranex_Rustbuster.html

I think its worth noting two things about this product, one is that it is not recoommended for vehicle paint (infact there is an advisory against getting it on vehicle paint - but the reasons for this are not given on the website), the other is that whilst it uses a chemical action to convert exsisting rust, it will not prevent re-rusting. However, that said, it seems to have given you excellent results in the way you used it Outlaw.

I'm interested to know more about this product, maybe somebody who has used it alot could start a thread on it some time. How paint behaves over a period of time after its use etc.

Great result on that bonnet shot though, you gotta be happy with that!

P Plater
    SLR_dave, I have been using this product for approximately twenty years and you are correct, they do not recommend it for use over automotive paint as it can stain or bleach the surface colour. I only use it in area where there is no other alternative and as you can see, it was a huge improvement over what was there. Even natural products like molasses can damage paint finishes if not used correctly. Secondly, as you stated Ranex will not prevent rust coming back, it is just a rust remover, with good paint I always apply polish after to reduce the rust returning, but on paint that has "had it" like this ute, I would normally apply a satin clear coat over the top to protect and retain the "Patina" look that some people like to have. I work with a lot of guys who love the rat- patina style of car.

As this ute will never see rain or a wash again in its present state, I will leave the surface as is.

Thanks for you comments and sharing your research.

P Plater
    Just an update everyone, cooling system was pretty much stuffed, I am in the process of a basic overhaul of it and also the brakes. Both the water pump and master cylinder are off to be rebuilt. Oh, and the manifold is off to assist with cleaning out the gunk!

P1060523-2.JPGP1060523-2.JPG
    Last edited by Outlaw; 23-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.

thats the payoff for low miles ay. they cooling system cops the brunt every time
    BQZ

P Plater
    For sure Vombil, low km's and high years sitting around takes its toll.

Sandman Guru
    Make sure you leave that engine plant overspray on the timing case and valley cover.

Thread Information