Thread: HQ holden manual choke

P Plater

HQ holden manual choke

Just wondering about HQ holden manual choke set ups. Been reading a little and some say 6 cylinder has manual choke, & all V8 had auto choke, with the exception to carter caby V8's which are apparently rare. Also was watching a HQ 350 coupe on ebay & noticed a choke cable ? My HQ sandman had a choke cable before I restored it. All tags indicate its a 253. The choke cable looks to be original but cannot be sure. Any info appreciated.

Sandman Guru
    AFAIK all V8 Holdens had auto choke. All V8 Torana except L34 had auto choke. I've never seen the Email Carter carby setup on a 253 but I never knew they were manual choke.

P Plater
    I don't even know what a carter carby looks like although I have heard or the brand. I agree with your comments also. After some more reading apparently there is a manual conversion kit for Rochester carby's. Would this kit have used factory choke levers & knobs, Is there such a thing. ?

Sandman Guru
    You could get one for L34, that was the only GMH supplied one that I know of. There were aftermarket ones around.

Carter Thermoquad Carbies are standard fitment on most Ford V8's that run a 4bbl.

P Plater
    Starting to think it was a done thing to fit a holly carb & pinch a HQ 6 cylinder choke set up. Initially I was thinking I may have been an Ex police van/Sandman. Did the police force use any HQ vans.?

I always use a manual choke when I fit a Holley 2 or 4bbl, and use the 6 cylinder cable in the factory position if available. That's probably what you've got on your van. (might even be one of my old conversions although it was a popular swap).
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Carter Thermoquad Carbies are standard fitment on most Ford V8's that run a 4bbl.
    The one on some 253's was a 2 barrel though instead of the WW Stromberg. It was used on some 302's from memory in Falcons as well.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Not quite correct, Innuendo. Only ADR27A Ford V8s (7/76 onwards) ran the Carter Thermoquad. Virtually all Ford 4-barrel carbies prior to that are Autolite Model 4300, including all Falcon GTs. Having said that, GT-HOs uniquely used Holley 4-barrel carbies.

The Email Carter BBD 2-barrel that was used as a production alternative to the WW Bendix Stromberg in late HQ & HJ 253 V8s is a very distant relative of the Thermoquad. It only ever had an auto choke from the factory in Australia.

The BBD 2-barrel was also seen on Ford 302 V8s from XW to XB & also Valiant 245/265 Hemi 6s & 273/318 V8s.

Generally speaking most auto to manual choke conversions are an abject failure. One exception is the factory L34 item. The main problem is the idle-up cam has steps instead of being a smooth gradient. Most of the time you are better off re-fitting the auto choke to work properly.

Dr Terry

.....Or fitting a Holley....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information