Thread: Lead Wiping V Plastic Fill

Lead Wiping V Plastic Fill

After reading a comment from Jason in regards to him lead wiping his HZ GTS and coincidently having a conversation with the spray painter where my van is being restored thought I would ask the punters out there about their experience with both of the above, my painter things plastic fill has a bad wrap as people seem to associate it with as a shonky repair, he claims they get guys that come into there restoration business that want everything file finished which he says has its own demerits as it thins the steel and is very difficult if not impossible to get a top notch finish, customers want and see nothing wrong with numerous layers of high fill being used instead to fill those minor imperfections which would otherwise be done by plastic fill which is what it is designed for. Lead wiping seems to be making a bit a of a resurgence but it also has its own fallings if not done correctly and some people use this as a method of repair which is also a shonky way to repair things. We have all used plastic fill for a cheap rough maybe get through rego repair or been victim of a car purchase which we later discover to have a over generous about of plastic add ons. I see nothing wrong with plastic fill being used within the scope of what it is designed for. Lead wiping is an old method before plastic fill was invented which I think was in the 1960's and lead was I imagine also used as some sort of short cut as well. Would be interested to hear from any guys in the trade on the pro's and con's of both I know heat if one thing that can affect plastic but obviously not lead.

Only reason im doing my GTS with lead is I want it basically file finished. It has no rust anyway. I have it back to bare metal in primer. So the work I have to do with lead is not that bad. The car hasn't see the road for about 20 years! Again im being anal with this build. its taking me years to get where I am. And that's a bare shell. I am not using and crappy repro parts. Its all NOS. I have 2 wooden crates full of NOS parts that will go into it. From steering wheels, badges, NOS interior vinyl trim. the lot. Right though to NOS bushes, body mounts etc etc. It will be a new car.

Why...... because I felt like it haha! Its my dream car. I just hope to have it done in the next few years so I can start to enjoy it!

Thread Information