Thread: Anyone here get to damaged vehicle auctions much?

Sandman Guru

Anyone here get to damaged vehicle auctions much?

Just wondering what a written off but good condition VZ LS1 or VE LS2 auto goes for.

I want something with reasonably low kM. Looking for a whole LS1 or LS2 drive by wire engine for my HK GTS. Just weighing up the cost of an engine vs a whole wreck.

Cheaper to buy a wreck Byron

Sandman Guru
    I thought it would be given a WM Statesman is about $9k and a VZ about the same in good nick. So surely a wreck would be half that. I can buy a whole VZ LS1 inc harness for $2k though.

VZ for 2 k grab that what about the gearbox

Sandman Guru
    Muncie M22. I don't want to butcher the floorpan so has to be a Muncie or TH350. TH350 is too hard due to the cable kickdown with an electronic throttle.

Muncie sounds great i found a place in the states that sells fully recon Muncies very cheap
    its cheaper to get one from over there than buy one here go figure

I bought myself a brand new LS1 6.0 in the box of a guy who bought it about 2-3 years ago and never used it then decided to buy a brand new supercharged LS1, I thought about buy a wreck etc but I didnt want the electronic turbo 700, know a guy who runs a wreckers in the Gong who could have a got me a complete wreck at auction but even talking to him he suggested you still dont know what your getting, I payed 4k for the motor doesnt have the bolt on bits by they are selling same motor for around 7k now, plan is to drop it in a 49 Chev pick up or maybe a HQ tonner down the track I know its a slightly more expensive way of doing things but long term it should save me money.

Sandman Guru
    I already have one with Hurst Indy shifter. I'd be using the full HT GTS350 bellhousing and slave cylinder setup I have in the shed as the LS1/2 uses the same diameter flywheel as an 11"Chev. You can buy locally or import a complete flywheel for the LS1/2/3 engines so the back of the engine replicates a SBC/BBC as far as the Muncie is concerned. Will use all standard HK crossmember etc. Plus one of these:

http://www.curleys.com.au/products-p...s/hktg-holden/

With the power steer option. Brakes that come with it are XF Falcon rotors with VR/VS Commodore calipers. And unlike the CRS front end these can be bought at stock ride height which is what I want. I'd leave the Ford stud pattern on the rotors as it matches the XW GT 9" I have in the car, so simply stick XF Falcon drums on the back.

Thread Information