Thread: Rocket Red

Rocket Red

Not sure if this has been covered before but was looking for the correct paint code for 74 Holden rocket red to paint my rebuilt motor should I be able to just buy it off the shelf went to my local Holden PPG dealer today and they said they could get me 1/2 litre but I was instilled with confidence that they knew exactly what I was after, I am not wanting to paint it in 2 pak just want it fresh and clean looking.

Sandman Guru
    There are a few variants, just be careful to get the right red if you want it original. The one you want I think was released on Holden engines with HK, it was a different red to pre HK red 6's (except X2 and 186S which was different again iirc). The Chev engines in HK-late HQ used the same red as on a HR 186S which was more orange.

It all seems a bit confusing had a friend give me a sample on the back of a business card and it is more a brown red like I have seen on 1960's Holden six cylinders he is very particular and told me it was spot on, I spoke with Scott Wilson today from NOS Parts and he seems to think that colour was early HQ , and he told me there were two types of Rocket Red before GMH changed to blue motors.

Sandman Guru
    There is definitely 3 reds at least. The orange-red on X2-186S and Chevs is X2 red I think, and the red used on other engines from HK on is Holden rocketred from memory. I'll see if I can find paint formulas.

Here is a bit of info although not all of it is correct:

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Engines_by_Colour
    Last edited by HK1837; 03-12-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Information