Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackouts for the chrome around the windscreen.

Blackouts for the chrome around the windscreen.

Hi all, I'm going to paint the all the blackouts for my van soon and I'm a little unsure how to tackle the chrome around the windscreen? Can I just sand, etch prime, prime and paint? Or is there a better way?
    Cheers Jerry

image.jpg

Powder coat them?

kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Yeah I'm not sure about powder coating, I don't think it bonds to the metal that well, more wraps it...just my thoughts.

powder coating bonds great but you still need to paint door frames sills beaver panel door handles rear quarter lowers upper tailgate rear glass surrounds so you will need a good paint primer tape etc you wont have any dramas with your art talent have fun

Yeah, I'd powder coat the trim pieces for sure. It's durable and you can match your paint to it.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Powder coating is not that good yeah it bonds good but chips and scratches to easy for my liking
    go 2 pak but your van

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Powder coating is not that good yeah it bonds good but chips and scratches to easy for my liking
    go 2 pak but your van
    That's interesting that you say it scratches easy. I get bicycle frames powder coated and it's hard as a rock and seems very durable, thus my suggestion. The whole concept of powder coating is to end up with a durable, baked-enamel type of finish.
    Maybe there is a lot of variation in the amount applied by different people, resulting in different levels of adhesion. (or possibly different baking temperatures used?)
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

100% powder coat them.
    Far more durable than 2-Pac paint. I personally wouldn't do them any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    100% powder coat them.
    Far more durable than 2-Pac paint. I personally wouldn't do them any other way.
    Beg to differ seen plenty of front ends powder coated and they chip easy and it dulls off over time
    the 2 pac paint of today well the good stuff is years ahead of powder coating
    but again your van do as you wish

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    That's interesting that you say it scratches easy. I get bicycle frames powder coated and it's hard as a rock and seems very durable, thus my suggestion. The whole concept of powder coating is to end up with a durable, baked-enamel type of finish.
    Maybe there is a lot of variation in the amount applied by different people, resulting in different levels of adhesion. (or possibly different baking temperatures used?)
    Maybe be Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Beg to differ seen plenty of front ends powder coated and they chip easy and it dulls off over time
    the 2 pac paint of today well the good stuff is years ahead of powder coating
    but again your van do as you wish
    We'll have to agree to disagree Gene.

I guess if you are talking suspension and crossmembers that susceptible to grease, oil and degreasing agents incorrectly used you "could" have an issue. Powder coating is far stronger and superior to automotive paint. Council hand rails and playground equipment of today is all done this way and for obvious reasons. As Rob points out it is also common with bicycles. Tool boxes and kit shelving are other great examples along with lawn mowers etc. I have many, many parts powder coated including wheels, fuel tanks, stone trays, tailshaft and diff housing along with brake backing plates and it stands the test of time. Maybe your powder coater isn't great at what they do? I'll continue to powder coat as the results over the last 30+ years on my own cars are great. Like anything it's only as good as the preparation.

You are only only a few I have ever heard say anything negative about powder coating.

Thread Information