Thread: My HJ Sandman

My HJ Sandman

G'day All,
    New to the forum, which I know is new as well. Hope the forum goes well. Anyway my name is Glenn H. & I reside in Brissy. 2 years ago I purchased my van from Mildura, Vic. The outside was restored but nothing else. When I first went to look at the van I noticed it had HX stripes on a HJ. When I enquired about it the owner said he put them on after painting the van only because he preferred them (if it was up to me I would have left it up to the potentialy new owner). I have purchased & good set of HJ stripes & GTS guards so I can return it to it's originality fairly easy. The missus doesn't want me to as she likes the louder stripes better. What does eveyrone else think? Anyway the car being an inland car its whole life was found to be 99% rust free.
    I bought it & went I got it home spent the next 6 months doing the following,
    1. New motor (original wasn't with the car & the motor that was, was beyond repair).
    2. Complete new front end.
    3. New interior.
    4. Rebuilt trans.
    5. Rebuilt diff.
    Plus heaps of other little things. The only thing left to do is put in the full roof lining, so if anyone knows someone in Brissy who can help let me know.
    Plates say it was -
    1. Adel built 8/75
    2. L32
    3. M40
    4. GU7
    5. Trim 1888 - Gazelle
    6. 568-15951 - Cotillion White

cheers,
    Glenn.

Welcome on board Glen, Was it you I missed you up at Euroa this year. Sure it was your van but have you just moved to Brisbane?

Will catch up soon in person at an event I'm sure.

Ian
    Last edited by HZSandman; 28-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.

It is great to see the owners of Sandmans I have seen on the net turn up to the forums. Welcome, it's great to have another owner driver here.

No worries Ian, might be a while mate unless you bring the van up to Brissy which is a bloody long way from Melb. Hopefully will only be here for about 2 years (I'm in the RAAF), before returning to Wodonga & thanks Blocker.

Glenn.

Had me confused for a bit there Glenn. Well at least the weathers better.

BTW, stick with the current stripes

You're right Ian. It was me down at Euroa last year & I remember seeing your van, but unfortunately I had to get posted to Brisbane, but I'll be back to Wodonga eventually. Love the Euroa meet, over 1,000 cars in a great location.

Glenn.

wow van looks great mate - i reckon the hx stripes look better but its the old age question - original as possible or your version of a sandman? i still struggle with that decision. lets face it, for most of us, our dream sandmans probably dont exist any more in their orignial form. so unless someone can invent a time machine and we are able to go back to a holden dealer in '78 or thereabouts and order what we wanted as factory supplied - anyway i will save my soapbox for the lounge and post a question to you all there.

van looks really grouse! good on you mate and if the missus is happy with those stripes that would be enough for me - happy wife -happy life hehe

Thanks Mick,
    I'm of the same opinion mate, 2 years later still 50/50 on which way to go. The missus is pretty flex so it's really up to me which way to go. I prefer the later decals but originality is where the money is nowdays. I suppose because I've got everything to convert back there's no rush.
    Glenn.

Glen, do you want a hand putting the full headlining in or are you looking for someone who makes them??

This guy is selling repro rear Sandman hood bows....
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170453342765

This guy has the correct original style vinyl in what appears to be all the colours for HJ/HX and does front headlining, I have been meaning to contact him and see if he does the full length ones.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Headlining-HG...mZ110490821285

If you need a hand to install it I am on Brisbane southside and am more than happy to help, not that hard if you know what you're doing although around the windscreen can get a little tricky at times.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information