Thread: Replacing ute inner rear wheel arches

Replacing ute inner rear wheel arches

I want to replace the inner rear wheel arches in my HQ ute (donor body) - the body is pretty good rust wise but the inner arches look like they have been attacked with a sledge hammer, the tray itself is OK.

How hard is it to replace them? I have scuffed the paint along the top of the arch to see where the spot welds i'm but having trouble working out what happens once they get to the tray - my Holden HQ Manuals aren't much help!

I am assuming they are one piece that continues down below the tray into the lower wheel arch area? Was wondering if it was possible to drill out the spot welds along the top of the arch and then just cut them at the tray line - or is that really dumb idea? :confused:

Hopefully the pic will show what I mean - unfortunately the pic is not of my ute!

Any help much appreciated...

P.S. I'm pretty much in the teach yourself category when it comes to bodywork.:eek:

to find the spot welds for the bottom edge at the tray you need to take a wheell off and look in there..get wheel arch cut sections from a panelavan..i can help with those if you have troubles finding some..

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    to find the spot welds for the bottom edge at the tray you need to take a wheell off and look in there..get wheel arch cut sections from a panelavan..i can help with those if you have troubles finding some..
    Thanks - have only had quick look underneath with wheel on and I thought it was one panel ie: no join at the tray edge - hence my thought that I would need to cut it.

So will go back and have a proper look underneath on the weekend, have yet to really look for replacement arches so will be in touch if I can't get anything decent local. Cheers Iain

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    Managed to get under and have a proper look today, cleaned up along the spot welds at tray join and also tray cross bar support (or what ever you call it).

Anyway looks like a fair few spot welds and lot of stuffing around to get the full inner arch out - especially where it joins the seperate section of wheel arch that meets with the inner rear quarter panels.

So still wondering about just taking out the top spot welds and cutting along the wheel arch at tray level and just replacing the upper sections, have tried to show what I am on about in pic's below. So good, bad, stupid idea? Any issues with welding in and sealing just the upper section? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Whats wrong with your arches? This seems like a huge job. Are yours dented? If so they can be repaired easier than replacing them. Good thing is you can get to both sides of the steel so heating and beating will get them back to normal if you know what your doing.

Replacing them without it looking obvious that you did will be hard.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

unless they were absolutely crushed i would repair rather than replace..it is a big job to even cut and shut the way you want too..:eek:

Thanks for the feedback - as per my original post the inner arches are pretty trashed. The body is pretty good rust wise - all the usual rots spots are solid but the inside tray has clearly had a hard life.

Originally thought it might be easier to replace than try to beat out - am re-thinking that one now... Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AN5590 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback - as per my original post the inner arches are pretty trashed. The body is pretty good rust wise - all the usual rots spots are solid but the inside tray has clearly had a hard life.

Originally thought it might be easier to replace than try to beat out - am re-thinking that one now... Thanks again.
    Yeh I would beat them out if you can. even it it takes you a day each wheel arch. As thats about what it will take to replace them. And you would never get them to look original in my opinion =)
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Thread Information