Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What is a Full Restoration?

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna Do View Post
    Thanks all for your comments,Innuendo i have tried,vaseline,palmers cocoa butter,nivea hand softener,auto glim vinyl softener,mothers ,meguires,mineral oil,nu finish vinyl restorer,automatic fluid,oakwood leather/vinyl softener,and some old super petrol.i put it in the sun and it is soft and supple but ten minutes in the shade hard and brittle again,i will have to get Az Nu and give it a try.
    Gee, that sounds a lot like a friend of mines honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Survivor is a patented term in the USA. Have a read there. We may not totally agree but that is what they set up to preserve Corvettes for future reference, basically to stop people "ruining" cars by restoring them!

http://www.bloomingtongold.com/index...vivor-corvette
    Its interesting the whole 'survivor' thing. Not the Eye of the tiger Survivor, the car one...

Ive got a V6 GT Capri that Im wondering what to do with. I know its a Ford but what do you guys reckon I should do? It still runs, and has only had 2 registered owners. Has a replacement engine, but the original engine is in the shed, and it is otherwise untouched. Pretty good for a 44 year old car so Im hesitant to restore it, as its only original once. Im considering putting the windscreen in and getting it roadworthied and on club rego and just taking it to car shows as is for a year or so before the resto. Might get the interior fixed a bit, but otherwise, maybe just show it off as a survivor.

What do you think I should do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by hainzy View Post
    Its interesting the whole 'survivor' thing. Not the Eye of the tiger Survivor, the car one...

Ive got a V6 GT Capri that Im wondering what to do with. I know its a Ford but what do you guys reckon I should do? It still runs, and has only had 2 registered owners. Has a replacement engine, but the original engine is in the shed, and it is otherwise untouched. Pretty good for a 44 year old car so Im hesitant to restore it, as its only original once. Im considering putting the windscreen in and getting it roadworthied and on club rego and just taking it to car shows as is for a year or so before the resto. Might get the interior fixed a bit, but otherwise, maybe just show it off as a survivor.

What do you think I should do with it?
    Your Capri reminded me of this old GT, a classic and a survivor. It's unrestored, it's on the road, it has survived. That's my take on a survivor, all the bits it came with, with the exception of general wear and tear and maintenance. I don't see why there has to be a level of condition put on something to have survived, it just has to survive. I know people will disagree, and that's fine with me. Life would be boring if we were all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpEmcuYXak
    Paddy

Sandman...Just Drive It.!

i think it gets to a point where you need to maintain the metal. Ive seen surface rust get so bad the car was totally f$5ked. you would have been left with nothing once you ground the rust worms out. so maybe see if you can treat the surface rust to stop or slow it and then just leave it as is.
    BQZ

I saw an ad for a clear coat to suit and protect patina appearance. That said agree you need to put a windscreen in and if enjoying/showing in that state for a year or so, not too much more damage would be done as long as its shedded.

Also heard last week of a product called Rat Wax I think it was for you guessed it Rat Rods etc with patina paint, looks could the old Capri were doing something with for sure

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i think it gets to a point where you need to maintain the metal. Ive seen surface rust get so bad the car was totally f$5ked. you would have been left with nothing once you ground the rust worms out. so maybe see if you can treat the surface rust to stop or slow it and then just leave it as is.
    Totally Agree!! looks cool.

Cool. Thanks guys. I will look into some of those products if I decide to go that way with it.

That is the problem when it comes to a survivor like that. It looks great but the paint is down to the metal in bits, so it needs some TLC. I might speak to my painter to see if he has anything he can spray over it. It would be cool to drive around in a genuine 44 year old survivor car.

My van was also a survivor but needed saving...

Sandman Driver
    I reckon the bonnet, boot and, particularly, roof on that Capri would be pretty expensive to restore if the panels do rust through. From the pics it does look a bit as if thats about to happen without some remedy at least. I wonder, is it still a surviver, if just some of the body is re-dressed? Is it still a surviver if it fails rego due to holes rusting through in the roof? Dunno of course, I'm not so sure on the survivor trend. I'd go for restore, or partial restore at least. At some point all cars will cease 'survivng' without some assistance any way.

Banned
    I watched a video on "Fatty the Rat Rod". It's a Fargo truck. They polished it with lanolin. It came up unreal and lanolin is a good water proofer.

Thread Information