Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HJ SANDMAN UTE - QLD $40K restored

HJ SANDMAN UTE - QLD $40K restored

I think between DaveGMH and Flamenco they would own ALL of the sandmans in and around Toowoomba

So lads, chime in if this is another one of yours!?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1975-HJ-H...item2a45bb8401
    BQZ

No nothing about this one. By golly gee it is nice though.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Banned
    Utes are going to be the valuable Sandmans purely because there is less of them. 40k for a 253 ute? If they get it that is going to be a bench mark.
    Last edited by wbute; 15-10-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Utes are going to be the valuable Sandmans purely because there is less of them. 40k for a 253 ute? If they get it that is going to be a bench mark.
    Restored 253 ute, worth a fortune..!!!
    Paddy

Sandman...Just Drive It.!

Cruiser
    $1000 refundable deposit before inspection? There's a solid idea. I wonder how well that works for them? Nice ute, I hope they get there money.

If it was a 308 I think it would be probably on the money not sure about a 253 , you would also need to have a good look at the restoration process but looks to be a great looking ute

Sandman Guru
    It does look good, and i'm always on the lookout for a nice HJ Kingswood Sandman. But unless it was of Survivor quality i'd walk away from a HJ L31 M41 example at $30k (and $25k for HX-Z), and this is onlyva 4.2L example. A HQ L31 M40 at $35k yes, but it'd have to be a very desirable trim line and in fantastic condition to exceed that (for me in any case).

I think the major limiting factor for me with a Sandman ute is although i'd love one they've gotten overpriced (at least in asking price), although as normal you'd never buy and restore one for less than $35k, the limitation is I can buy a fantastic El Camino for $25k or less, possibly in original big block form. Sort of makes it hard to justify the Sandman tax. Although in the end I reckon vans and utes will be worth similar $, right now the vans don't really have the El Camino option to ponder or even a modern option - you can buy a new XR6T Falcon ute for $35k or an SS ute for not much more, but there hasn't been a sports van made since the 70's.

Banned
    Depends in on your interests as to what you would buy. El-Camino with a big block would be fun, but you are comparing apples with oranges. The HJ Sandman would never make any interest or have any value in America. The only interest the El-Camino would have here is the engine and some curiosity value. The Sandman has collector and historical value in Australia.
    As to that HJ making 40k? Who knows. As I reckon, if it does it could be seen to make utes more valuable than vans (that's purely as a collector value, vans and utes will always appeal to different people and age groups and be valued to them accordingly.)
    Last edited by wbute; 15-10-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added more

Sandman Guru
    I reckon the El Camino is a valid comparison, a 2 seat ute with some collectable status. I think it is actually a more valid comparison than comparing a Sandman ute to a van.
    To me it is no different to a Monaro vs Camaro comparison. Right now thete is a beautiful 1970 Z28 for sale on carsales, I think it is $65k. For a HG GTS350 in the same condition you'd probably have to pay $100k. The Z28 is pure high performance, the HG has the driveline from a far lower spec 1970 Camaro. I think that is a valid comparison too.

I guess i'm looking at it from a value for money perspective as much or more as a parallel between the two.

Sandman Driver
    HHMM nice ute, its a business so it will probably sell for that money. He will be on a commission basis.(this car will be for a collector)

Thread Information