Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vs ute - fuel smell in cabin

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    This was a common issue in ALL VN-VS Commodores, but more so with utes, because the cavity where the tank is located is close to the passenger compartment. With sedans & wagons any vapours from minor leaks are vented externally.

The fix is to remove the ute floor (Philips screws), remove the fuel tank & replace all the vapour hoses with quality fuel resistant neoprene hose. Go to a Pirtek or Enzed outlet & spend a few $$ on thin wall low pressure hydraulic hose, it's worth it.

The factory hoses have 2 faults, the small rubber ones just rot away & fall apart, while the larger vapour hose to the filler neck turns rock hard & won't seal at its ends. You will find that the tank will have been leaking petrol (liquid & vapour) for years, from every joint.

It's not rocket science & anyone can do it with a bit of patience & common sense.

Dr Terry
    Or sell it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flamenco_not_Flamingo View Post
    Or sell it lol
    ive lost count of how many VS utes i've sold over the years because i couldn't figure it out. one had only done 90,000 and stunk. another had done 240,000 with no smell. totally wrecked my brain. so glad to have a definitive answer. thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i pulled the cover off this arvo and found the canister vapor return line was rotten in half. I plugged it with a bolt and it made no difference to smell. Probably just puts more pressure on the other leaking areas. what a drama
    Last edited by Vombil; 01-10-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    BQZ

Thread Information