Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panel Van turret swap

repair WB, no question!
    BQZ

Take the time to read this thread on the Majestic Vanners forum.
    http://majesticvanners.forumotion.co...t-time-project

You will need to sign up so you can read the forum though

Wow - thanks for the link Innuendo. The side cut looks like a big job - this is exactly the sort of information I wanted to be able to make an informed decision on what to do before cutting anything up.

Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    It's an epic amount of work. I would only attempt this if I were a very good metal doctor. I personally would try to fix the rust free wb.

Are you able to post up pics of the vans?

Have you done a resto before? Not having a go but I would hate to see you get stuck. I have been there...
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/a...&d=1281796466\
    }I ended up crushing both
    Hi Mook. I have done a couple of restos before, but not anything that needs this much work. My pride and joy is a HG Monaro:
    Monaro.jpg
    And I did a ute which I was tempted to put Sandman stickers on but didn't in the end:
    DSC_0051_246aDSC_0051c.jpg
    These were fairly straight forward with no significant panel damage (there was rust to repair though)! I have learnt to weld and paint and now want a bit more of a challenge.

The WB doesn't look too bad to me from your pics. I'd reckon the cost of doing it would be a fraction of the roof swap plus if the roof swap goes wrong, you are killing 2 vans!
    Any decent panel beater should be able to do the quarter on the WB. Maybe a job for the apprentice to practice on at a cheap rate? Then transfer all the HX bits onto the WB.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

How bad is the roof rust on the hx?
    Well you look like you know the trials and tribulations of restorations already. Go for it!

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments. There are some other factors that I haven't mentioned yet. Like for example both vans have rust in the plenum, under the windscreen and need work. The HX has rust around the rear tail lights as well.

The outcome of this thread has helped me identify if swapping the turret was firstly feasible and secondly achievable. My conclusion is that it is feasible, but a great deal of work that may not be completely necessary.

What I think I will do is get them both sandblasted back to bare metal so I can identify all the repairs needed and move forward on the basis of which one can be completed with the least work & $$.

Thanks again!

Sandman Guru
    I'd still tackle the roof if it was mine, rather than use the wrong body. If it isn't a Sandman it doesn't matter all that much I suppose if the worng body is used. Just note the HX seats won't fit the WB without mods and there are other differences that may cause grief.

I tend to agree with you HK1837. The end result that I want is to have a windowless HX Sandman replica. In fact I purchased the WB initially just to use as a donor car to fill in the HX side windows and replace the inside pillars that were cut out when the windows were added. However, when I started looking at the two cars, I wondered about the turret change as this would also fix the rust in the HX at the back near the tail lights.

Doing up the WB as a Sandman replica does not seem right to me personally. This is a subjective opinion that others may not agree with, because the HX would be 'just' a replica as well, but somehow I associate HQ - HZ as the Sandman era and not so much WB. (I hope I don't offend any WB owners - this is my personal opinion only)

Sandman Guru
    Just remember it is a big task!

Thread Information