Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: V8VANs HQ Monaro build thread

Sandman Guru
    Probably Tony Webster in Carrington. For the money asked for the one in Brisbane it'd be worth dropping it in, getting the exhaust done and using it. If the engine needs to come apart (he told me it had only about 40000 miles on it and runs fine) just do it when you can. I'd first separate the TH400, take it to Barry Stace in Islington and get it serviced whilst there. Will cost about $100 including the front and rear seals and kit. Go to the Auto trans parts wholesaler in Wallsend and grab 4 x seals: dipstick, modulator and the 2 on the speedo drive. Get Barry to do the selector shaft seal for you.

The tailshaft that was with it is wagon, pretty sure a HJ-HZ 308 TH400 sedan or coupe shaft will fit straight into a HQ coupe witha 350 TH400 if you use HQ mounts and it has a normal V8 diff. 350 HQ diffs had a bigger diff uni yoke (same a tonner), hence the tailshaft was different as it used 1.125" unis on both ends like a tonner. 308 TH400 shafts have the big uni on the gearbox end but a normal V8 1" uni on the diff end. The wagon crossmember will go straight in, just need to drill a 32mm hole for the speedo cable (I can show you how the cable fits). If you don't have a TH400 T-bar you can make one out of a trimatic one, but this engine also comes with a TH400 column shift setup so if the Monaro is a Monaro or a Monaro LS with column shift you can use that. Just needs the exhaust either shortened to fit or a new exhaust from the extractors back. Radiator use a 3 row and get the outlets swapped or get a new 4 row but with a cast irom headed 350 you'll need to run a viscous fan and shroud. You'll find a tranny cooler at a wreckers cheap.

It was a 6 cyl manual car originally, has a clutch pedal, a normal column and a hole in the tunnel, and has a Banjo diff. It's got a brand new alloy radiator in it to suit the Holden V8, so I'll have to get the outlets swapped.
    I've got no auto shifter, only tailshaft I have is the WB van one for a T700 to small Salisbury, so I'll have to sort those out.

So if the Muncie isn't a hard swap for the T400... I do intend to run a manual in it but if everything's as you say I might go the auto at first and change it out later on, save spending so much in one hit.

Lots to think about...But I'm liking the sound of it so far, bit easier on the wallet (and that makes the mrs easier on my ear lol ).

Sandman Guru
    I can guide you through the Muncie conversion when need be. Best way is a WB V8 clutch pedal and a full cable bellhouisng.

Sounds good. I'll PM you.

Hey Byron, your PM's are full so I'll post here.

Got your message, will ring oldmate today.

Cheers

So V8Van,

What did you end up going with?

Hey mate, the bloke Byron put me on to has sent me pics. He's got it set up to run on a stand and is gonna take a vid and email it to me.

Might be a few weeks till I can get it though as he's going away for a bit.

So yeah, so far so good on this one at the moment.

Sandman Guru
    Hope it all works out OK for both of you. I'm always hesitant to recommend anything used to others but sometimes it is worth it!

Thanks for putting me onto it. I get where you're coming from, I'm a bit the same, but this should be perfect for what I want to do at the moment.

So I'm still waiting to find out about the Qld 350, his mate might want it or something. He's gonna let me know.

I came across this on another forum, though Melb is a bit of a hike lol. He wants 4k for the lot. Worth it?

Brand New DART SHP Block (350 mains 4.125 bore)

Brand New JE Pistons – 4.125 to suit 6” rod in 400ci with valve notches from JE to suit heads also for sale

SCAT 6” H Beam rods – chev big journal

Brand New Edelbrock 15 degree heads, have been roughed out and one port finished still need guides seats and machining
    Victor High Torque 4150 manifold - Has been extensively ported
    Del West Titanium valves - INL2.180 7mm EXH1.600 11/32
    T&D Rockers to suit heads – no stands
    Crower .180 offset roller lifters – came out of low km drag engine

Thread Information