Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: V8VANs HQ Monaro build thread

Sandman Guru
    No worries.

The crate engines are typically made in Mexico. They normally have roller cams, big rods and other such goodies. Have a look at engines on summitracing.com and you'll get an idea of what they tend to have.

TKO's will fit but they aren't cheap. They are alien to a GM product as they are Ford based from memory. Muncie is standard fitment to HQ, but both will probably require some tunnel mods. I'd use a Muncie if I had to use a manual but i'd be using an auto as first preference. You can get 4L60's built pretty well for not a lot of money and these also go in with minimal mods and are overdrive.

Here is a complete Super T10 setup, not quite as good as a new M22 Muncie but next best thing and good strong boxes:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/richmond-...#ht_353wt_1153

You'll buy a whole new Muncie for under $2000US but you have to get it here and buy all bits to fit.

Eagle sell the bare bones crate engines which you'd have to dress:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHEV-350-...e#ht_524wt_916

Hmmm ya not wrong about the TKO's being pricey, gonna cost nearly as much as that engine I posted to get it in the car working. 5th gear would be nice, could run a shorter diff ratio and still cruise...Least I know my options there anyway. M22 was my first choice just for the sound lol.

Does anyone do Muncies or T-10's over here?

I'll keep poking around online anyway, it's all info I can use.

As for the engine, what sorta cost would there be to dress that bare one? I've got zero Chev stuff so gotta buy it all. Would I be better off going the turnkey one?

Thanks for the info so far, it all helps.

Cheers

Sandman Guru
    If it was me i'd buy a whole car when one came up and swap drivelines. All the add-ons aren't cheap, that is what makes that one in Brisbane quite good value as even if the engine needed a rebuild (would only be rings and bearings if anything as it has done stuff all kM) the accessories aren't cheap.

I bought a whole 350, TH350 out of a HQ Dr Terry had sitting in his workshop for a while for about the same money and it only had manifolds on it. The one in QLD has extractors, crossmember, tailshaft and I think speedo cable too. I'm sure he said he had the whole exhaust too but it was wagon.

The good thing about a TH400 is afaik an M22 Muncie will bolt in its place (same tailshaft, yoke etc, just a new speedo cable).

Ahh donor car. Not a bad idea, I didn't even think of that. Might have to see what's out there.

Thanks for that, good idea.

Just put 502 BB in it ya pussy

I like the idea (and why stop at 502?) but I just want a cruiser with a bit of poke when I want it. 350 is no issue engineering-wise, a shitload cheaper than BB, parts off the shelf to get it in there, and will do everything I need it too.

That said it may get more power down the track, but for now I just want it on the road as soon as I can

Thinking about this Chev in Brissy now, just need a way to get it down here...

So how many in the fleet now Ian

I had my Chev built in Carrington about 8 years ago.
    The Brissy option is good if you do not have all the other goodies laying around to make life easier like carb, cross member, radiator etc.
    I was lucky, I had that stuff on a Statesman parts car ready to go.

Just Parts magazine and Local Trader paper is a great help.

Sandman Guru
    I'll have his number for you but need to talk to you before you commit to look at it. Best bet is to hire a trayback ute from Newcastle truck & Bus or the like. About $75 a day gets you a dual cab diesel 4x4 single cab. Up and back in 2 days, took us less than 8 hours from Gold Coast, another 1.25 hours to North Brisbane. He has a shed hoist to lift it on. Buy some ratchet straps to tie it down. But talk to me first about it.

I ran the hire a ute and roadtrip idea past the mrs and she wasn't overly against it lol
    I've got your number here, Byron. If you're available say late arvo today I can give you a call and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    So how many in the fleet now Ian
    That's about me done I think, for now anyway. Got the SL/R, LJ 2 door, Sandman, and now Munro. I'm happy with that collection, time to stop buying and start getting them on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysik View Post
    I had my Chev built in Carrington about 8 years ago.
    The Brissy option is good if you do not have all the other goodies laying around to make life easier like carb, cross member, radiator etc.
    I was lucky, I had that stuff on a Statesman parts car ready to go.

Just Parts magazine and Local Trader paper is a great help.
    Who did your engine in Carro? Yeah complete everything makes it easier, not to mention cheaper.

I'm waiting for the new Local Trader to come out.

Thread Information