Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine number question

P Plater

Engine number question

Hi guys, When i bought my van it came with a 350 auto in it, but I also got, what I was told was the original 308 and 4 speed gear box, now every bit of info I can find tells me that the engine numbers should start with a QT, but all i have is what looks like a back to front 1, followed by six numbers 884745P, any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sandman Guru
    Number is N884745P. It is NSW Police number 4745 issued in 1988. It is on the wrong side of the block too, original number is on the same spot on the other side.

P Plater
    Thanks Mate, but what does this mean, so its obviously not the original engine, there is definately nothing on the other side and doesn't look like there ever was.

Sandman Guru
    It could be the original engine, just been decked. You couldn't register them without an engine number so when it has been presented for rego it has had a number issued by NSW Police.

P Plater
    Sorry for being a pest, but are you saying it could be the original engine, but the number on the left had been removed, i'd like to think that as the old guy I bought it off was adament it was original, is there any way of finding out the engine number it rolled off the floor with?

Is there a number on the other side? Scrape away the grease and paint.

I have a nsw police number on one of my engines. Took the car in for rego, inspector couldn't find the engine number so I got refered to the police. There had been issues with the number years before so the police did their checks, couldn't find the number and issued me a police number. Took it to get stamped and the other mechanic wiped the dirt off and found the original number.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by andyG View Post
    Sorry for being a pest, but are you saying it could be the original engine, but the number on the left had been removed, i'd like to think that as the old guy I bought it off was adament it was original, is there any way of finding out the engine number it rolled off the floor with?
    Yes and yes sometimes.

P Plater
    When engines get reconditioned the number can be decked where the heads sits and the number gets part or totally removed, the date code is at the front of engine above the water pump, put that up and the date and year of your car and someone will tell you if it's close to the production date .

P Plater
    Year is 09-78 code seems to be D303 and the arrow points to 3.

I think this is the interpretation for D303

D = April
    30 = 30th
    3 = Year (73 or 83 or 93?)

Arrow pointing at 3, means it was part of the 3pm casting pour at the foundry it was made in.

Happy to be corrected on this as I'm relatively new to reading engine casting numbers.

Thread Information