Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BIG $$$ for a Replica!!

Whatever your reason for restoring a car is good enough, it's your decision and your reason..sentimental or love of restoring thing's, go for it. How much you spend is your choice..(and the head of the finance committee)..of course, and no one elses. This van is very,very good. So good it has got three pages of comment's, it's getting closer to excellent. You put in the work and the money to build what you want. If and when you sell, or have to sell, you wait until the right buyer come's along. They will, they alway's do.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    ^^Also valid reasoning and good advice.

Sandman Driver
    No bids Yet hey folks HHMMM might be too much money???

Entertaining thread this. Do any of you blokes drink or smoke ? Do you get your money back ? Or should you just have .................bla bla bla. I paid more for my van than the asking price for this van. From a member here. Very happy with it. So there you go Absinth, now you know one. Does that make me an idiot.
    My motto on life is simple 'if you want to do something just do it if you possibly can because you can't do it when your dead'
    Cheers.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Entertaining thread this. Do any of you blokes drink or smoke ? Do you get your money back ? Or should you just have .................bla bla bla. I paid more for my van than the asking price for this van. From a member here. Very happy with it. So there you go Absinth, now you know one. Does that make me an idiot.
    My motto on life is simple 'if you want to do something just do it if you possibly can because you can't do it when your dead'
    Cheers.
    Sound reason for living,If you want to do it,And you can afford to.Who cares??
    If it all came down to investment who would buy a car??I have done it,and are still doing it(spending money) because I enjoy the out come of the project.
    For me I say that van is cheap if you had to do it yourself what would be the cost?
    Rough Van?
    Full paint and panel?
    Full recon for motor and tran???Plus all the rest of the bit?
    I don't know for sure but I recon you would go over the 45 mark in coin.

Cheers Kiwivan
    ps just enjoy life and who cars what it costs.
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I wouldn't say don't do it. Just do the sums and wonder if you wouldn't be better off selling it close to how it is now and buy one already done ready to use. Yours is a pretty high end example though, and is a car worthy of the funds needed.
    So i have been told byron im prepared to throw 20k in to my van popular colour good strong drive line
    thats my panel and paint for free (brother in law painter ) i think in the long run your right i have to put this thing back to factory specs i hope it will be in the family for another 27 years

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Just wash it, bolt back together and enjoy driving it Gene. Or as Byron says, sell it. I'll buy it, very cool van.
    Not good enough to be on the road Craig and NO its not for sale
    Plus it hasnt moved in 20 years the motor would need rebuilding and the rest of the van

Banned
    Yeah I think everyone is aware that passion is the most important reason to own an old car.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Yeah I think everyone is aware that passion is the most important reason to own an old car.
    Tell that to some off my mates they reckon im mad spending that sort of coin on an old shaggin wagon

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    I paid more for my van than the asking price for this van. From a member here. Very happy with it. So there you go Absinth, now you know one. Does that make me an idiot.
    Cheers.
    I don't believe I made any comment about the price or said anything about being an idiot for spending that much... Simply that from what has been on eBay over the years prices haven't changed much. It looks a nice van and I'm sure whoever buys it will be happy with their purchase...

Personally if I'm going to spend that much on a Holden Panelvan then I want a genuine Sandman to spend it on... I'm also not silly with my money and throw it away on a rusted piece of crap, I sold my rusty HX after finding a good HJ with the best of the best... XX7 plated. A Sandman with proof of its heritage will always be worth more and therefor worth spending money on and I preferred a HJ anyway.

If looking for a Sandman try to get one XX7 plated, or with a unique to Sandman trim or GVM, factory 308 engine, desirable colour, as little rust as possible.... But any Sandman is better than no Sandman if you can get it for the right price.

davegmh, Craig's van was a ripper with full documentation of the restoration pictured on this site... Well worth over $45k and glad to hear you are happy with it.... I'd like to see more genuine Sandmans sell for those dollars as they cost that and more to fully restore..... Far from being an idiot I think you're one of the smarter ones.... I hope the replica from this thread sells for the money he is asking as it means genuine Sandmans will be worth more.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Absinth, my comments were based on you saying that you didn't know of any vans getting $45k. You said the highest you had heard of was $38k. That's why I commented. And no, you definitely didn't call anyone an idiot. But nice reply and thanks for the kind words mate. Cheers.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Thread Information