Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sandman identification hj ute

Learner Driver

sandman identification hj ute

hi guys, i have just purchased a hj ute & it looks to be a original sandman i thought i would post some info to have you guys look over it

its goes like this
    MODEL HJ8WN80
    TRIM 64V
    PAINT 17342
    ENG L31
    TRANS M41
    DIF GU4

HJ COUPE UTILITY 10/75
    GVM 2200
    SEAT 2
    VIN 8N80TFJ502173J
    TYRE PLA 9937826N--
    jamacian lime paint all over, full lining rear etc

if anybody can confirm it looks ok to me ?
    thanks neil

From Toodyay?
    BQZ

Nice combo indeed

Sandman Guru
    You can't tell from ID on a HJ. I'd need to see the chassis number but i'd give it a 50/50 chance at best, as if it is a Sandman it is an XU3 unless it has got seriously out of sequence with other cars. A HJ Kingswood ute XU3 is a pretty rare thing, but it could be.

What do you mean by full lining rear?

Tyre placard is off a V8 Premier sedan.

Learner Driver
    it has trim all the way down the b pillars inside.the glovebox could have been changed.yes from toodyay, missed out on a few so i just bought on the photos.
    so you need the hj number of the chassis?

neil

Sandman Guru
    Yes Neil, just to make sure there are some new XX7's in sequence before it. By the PSN yours is past the 10/75 introduction of the new XX7 Sandman, but on Dandenong assembled vehicles the PSN is not a great indicator of build sequence as it was allocated when the vehicles were entered into the production schedule, and they were never assembled in that order. On a Dandenong vehicle the last number it receives is its chassis number, so it will tell me to a far degree closer accuracy when it was produced relative to about 15 or so cars I have recorded around it. Then we'll know if it turns out to be a Sandman, if it is an old XX7 or an XU3 (which are actually the same thing but have different options codes, and the former is 20+ times more common and thus more likely). The one thing it can't be is the new Sandman introduced in 10/75 which also carried the XX7 code.

If the chassis number tells me what I think it will, it will be odds on to be a well optioned HJ Kingswood rather than a well optioned HJ Kingswood Sandman. But it still could be a Sandman.

In any case though you'll not be able to pick it by the tags, just narrow down what you are looking for.

There is no interior difference between a HJ Kingswood and a HJ Kingswood Sandman. Yes the Kingswood came standard wth bench seat, column shift and the standard instruments, but it could be optioned with everything the Sandman has as standard except for the console and the GTS wheel although many had dealer fitted GTS steering wheels.
    In the case of your car it should be relatively easy to pick by one thing as it is a 2 seater (assuming the body is original to the tags):
    If it is a Kingswood it will have been a columnshift with a seat separator so it'll have 2 x of the rear square seat separator mounting brackets both between the seats (or evidence of the frontmost one being removed if it has had a console fitted later).
    If it is a Sandman it will have been a console shift (T-bar) and it will only have the rear seat separator bracket plus a little flat bracket forward of the hole the T-bar is in for the front mount of the console. The T-bar hole will be gas axed and rough as guts, if it is neat it has been added afterwards and people rarely cut the shape right.
    If it is a straight Kingswood you'll also find evidence of big holes filled up where the side strips were attached. Big holes are only on the ends of the strips, the middle attaching points were little mushroom tabs like those that hold the stainless around the windscreen.

Learner Driver
    hi guys , i have the chassis number
    it goes like this BHJ10585M

see what you think....neil

ifs it one from toodyay on gumtree i noticed it didnt have the front console bracket on the tunnel but i couid be wrong

Im no expert but I noticed the mount missing also. I think the dash is out of a later model by the rts badge and has statesman doors on it. Not picking on it but its a bitsa underneath it all but you never know!

Learner Driver
    yes front bracket missing,they have fitted non gen seats,red oxide primed floor, i can see marks where it should be. i think the dash has been changed also, incorrect colour,woodgrain facia, tags never removed,Jamaican lime every where ,also has been red & white as well..the guy said a farmer had it from new, then his sons played with it as a hack on the farm,,

Thread Information