Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cessnock swap today

Sandman Guru

Cessnock swap today

Pretty good day, but cold. I got there just after 6am and car said it was 2deg. I had shorts and long sleeve short on, but carrying cold cast iron back to the car was hard on the fingers!

Lots of rubbish, stuff that belongs at the tip not a swap meet. But I found some really good bits:

Late HT GTS350 manual carby and inlet manifold, been off a car since the 70's but in good condition.

1973/4 HQ black console, virtually mint.

LH side HT 253/308 rocker cover in really good nick.

And a pair of BBC heads. I didn't really want them but the price was silly so I bought them (under $100). I'll try and put up some photos of the size of the valves and ports in them. If I put my 4 x fingers and thumb together I can stick them in the exhaust ports up to my 2nd knuckles. Valves must be 2.5" inlet, maybe 2" exhaust. The heads themselves aren't much good as they are ported too much, but they have u-beaut stainless valves, good retainers, guide plates and screw in studs. I reckon if I strip them I could take a photo through a port and out the other side with a zoom lens and not see any metal. Damn heavy things to lug back to the car though!

Great score on the console

Yeah ive been finding out lately how much BBC stuff weighs.....reckon i almost popped a nut carrying a genVI 454 block to my car the other week.

Sandman Guru
    I wouldn't bother carrying a block! Too damn heavy! I had a GenV on the Hilux the other day and used a forklift to get it out.

Didn't have a choice. Pretty annoying when the seller says he'll be home to help and his mum answers the door and says he's gone out for the day

Was that the valve cover you found that you were searching for a while back? If so, nice work

Sandman Guru
    Close to the right one, I'm actually after the RH side, this is a LH side but it is heaps better than the one I have. Don't have a RH side one in any condition.

Sandman Guru
    Here is the exhauts ports of the BBC. Ported to the max. Tube is stuck in and holding its own weight. They are closed chamber ovals ported to the nth degree.

2.jpg
    1.jpg

Wow... If the inlets are similar there'll be next to no airspeed through them in a standard low comp engine. Lotsa volume though not great for idle or developing globs of torque in the low rev range. They'll work best right up there in the rev range as long as the ports are fairly similar (flow wise) between them all. You'd have to get them benched to really know though. Issy or Sam down at COME might be the man for the job if you can stomach the frieght costs to Melbourne and back. He is really good to deal with and no BS, he'll be able to tell/show you outright what the porter was trying to achieve with all that work. Though looking at what I can see of that exhaust port I'm tipping they are off a racing boat (big revs and torque spread somewhere from 5-6.5K).
    Last edited by Taily; 10-08-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    They were on a rod. I don't want to use them, they are junk. I just wanted them for the valves, retainers, studs and guide plates for a proper pair of high performance BBC heads I have here - rectangular ports off an LS7 454.

Geez....someone got super excited with a die grinder!!!! Thats actually pretty funny

i dont know anything about engines but that looks ridiculous
    BQZ

Thread Information