Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Economy and diff ratio

Cruiser
    I think that tyre size wouldn't make any difference because you are comparing the engine revs to the final drive at the back of the gear box. It would work regardless of wheel or tyre size. Wouldn't work with a 5 speed ( over drive more tha 1 to1 final drive) wouldn't work if the cog on the end of the speedo cable was incorrect (speedo would be wrong to, I took the GPS to check that) and I think the final drive of a auto might be less than 1 to 1. Still think your a genius Beachy because I've been trying to work out my Diff ratio for a while. Was hopping that HK might give us a technical reason why this works.

http://www.osella.com.au/gear-ratios.htm
    Here is what I found if it's any help to answer some questions about this topic.
    www.wheelcalc.com/
    This site will help with tyre diameter. Or a quick calculation I think = wheel diameter +tyre profile (height) then multiply by 1.466. So if you are running 195/65R14 then 350mm+65 multiplied by 1.468 = 609.22mm diameter
    Last edited by HZSM50; 10-08-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I think that tyre size wouldn't make any difference because you are comparing the engine revs to the final drive at the back of the gear box. It would work regardless of wheel or tyre size. Wouldn't work with a 5 speed ( over drive more tha 1 to1 final drive) wouldn't work if the cog on the end of the speedo cable was incorrect (speedo would be wrong to, I took the GPS to check that) and I think the final drive of a auto might be less than 1 to 1. Still think your a genius Beachy because I've been trying to work out my Diff ratio for a while. Was hopping that HK might give us a technical reason why this works.
    Far as I know Frosty all late 60's thru 70's auto and 4 speed manual Holden stuff is 1:1 top gear (not sure about powerglide and early Hydramatrics though).
    Nunc est bibendum...

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Far as I know Frosty all late 60's thru 70's auto and 4 speed manual Holden stuff is 1:1 top gear (not sure about powerglide and early Hydramatrics though).
    I was thinking that ther might be some slip in the auto? Why would the diff on the auto be 2.78 and a manual in the same model be 3.36?

I was thinking that ther might be some slip in the auto? Why would the diff on the auto be 2.78 and a manual in the same model be 3.36?
    Fair points. The speedo drive is always on the output shaft of any box. Any slip would be in the converter, which would explain why you get a slight flash in rpm when you start to accelerate from an already steady speed in top gear. In a trimatic for example, the band is completely disengaged, the 2nd and 3rd clutch packs are buttoned down driving the output shaft at the same speed as the input shaft (otherwise there would be no engine braking on decell either). The diff ratio issue would be more to do with first gear start-off in a manual (think hill start and trying to reverse with too tall a diff ratio) - or she would shag the clutch quick smart.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Cruiser
    All torque converters 'slip' when they are working, this why the more modern units have lock-up type converters for improvements in economy on cruise etc.

Most older Holdens have a taller rear axle ratio for auto vs manual transmissions, because (as mentioned) it gives the clutch a chance to survive on take-off & also the converter gives a multiplier effect & launches much better than the manual.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 11-08-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Thread Information