Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Jasmine yellow commenced

P Plater

Project Jasmine yellow commenced

Hi guys, i've spent the last 3 week ends uncovering layers of blue paint and bog, to get to the rust underneath, doesn't look too bad but a fair bit of body work ahead, side indicators have been bogged over, quarter panels and in front of rear wheels shot, covered in aluminium plate,( spot the rivets) and a lot of bog, I don't think she'll be done by Christmas, but I keep watching the video of the yellow HZ on this site and picture mine exactly like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sandman Guru
    You've got some hard work ahead, but sometimes that is where the satisfaction is. Worst case is you'll get it naked or at least to its undies and that will save you a fair bit of coin if you are paying someone to fix the rust and get it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by andyG View Post
    I don't think she'll be done by Christmas, but I keep watching the video of the yellow HZ on this site and picture mine exactly like that.
    Make the decision bite the bullet and just keep going. After soda blasting and finding rust beyond imagination We either sold it as was for scrap or kept going. Thankfully we ended up with our van, although sadly she has cancer and needs to be fixed. We have a lot of fun with it though. Good luck with our resto and look forward to more pics cheers Jennie
    Last edited by jennie285; 13-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

P Plater
    Thanks guys, i'll keep you posted

Good luck with your project, I hope it turn's out well for you.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Make the decision bite the bullet and just jeep going. After soda blasting and finding rust beyond imagination We either sold it as was for scrap or kept going. Thankfully we ended up with our van, although sadly she has cancer and needs to be fixed. We have a lot of fun with it though. Good luck with our resto and look forward to more pics cheers Jennie
    so the yellow devil is rusting again?

She'll be right Andy. nothing a bit of persistence can't fix! Do it yourself it will be more rewarding in the end
    BQZ

Yes Vombil very sad to see right along the seam line which makes it a van, and not a ute, very disheartening given we did so much prep work. :( :(
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Yes Vombil very sad to see right along the seam line which makes it a van, and not a ute, very disheartening given we did so much prep work. :( :(
    yes definitely. sorry to hear that. like you said its shattering after spending time and money on a paint job. Shitty place to go as you need to repaint the whole side. not to dwell on it but one last question... was there rust there prior that had been repaired or was it 'new'? So many layers stacked up there and just no way to access them. Just a design flaw. Such a bugger. I don't have a van anymore so i'm dealing with similar multi-layer issues on the roof of my HX ute. sorry for slight thread hi-jack
    BQZ

P Plater
    All good Vombil, I have rust in the same place, was thinking of grinding the whole line out and tigging in new steel, will post some more photos this weekend to compare.

P Plater
    Hi Guys- Project Jasmine yellow is massively stalled, i cant see me tigging, migging or pouring any new steel in to this bucket of rust, i've spent all my spare time for the last two+ weeks finding more and more bad rust, quarter panels both sides, front of rear wheels both sides, beaver panel, top rails, above the windscreen, front guards, both floor pans, both doors, both sills- guards to rear wheels, but more worrying is rust inside both front door panels thats eating out around the lower door hinge brackets, evidence seems to point to this van being flooded to a depth of about 500 mm for six months and never properly cleaned, this is where I need some advice, should I perservere, or lift the cab off the chassis and advertise for another one, the only thing i've noticed without rust is the ID plates, is it possible to buy a whole rust free cab anywhere these days?, options or advice would be much appreciated.

Thread Information