Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Victorian Highway Patrol

Leadfoot
    One of the reasons for identifying the shift pattern is for the EMERGENCY people such as Ambo's and Fire Fighters if they have to move them. I don't think they want to back into a fire or over a cliff. it is the same where people fitted tinted headlight covers which reduced the performance of the headlamps etc. Or possibly the salad cutter wheel trims that kept spinning when you stopped. There are two sides to every story so it depends on what side you want to take.

Sandman Guru
    How would emergency people go with any Holden or Torana or Statesman, or even Ford or Chrysler for that matter with a 3spd column shift?

Would this pass if you were pulled over?

Interesting thread. So if I got pulled over and a pedantic cop looked to see if I had a shifter pattern on the gear knob and I did, how would he know if it's the correct pattern for that gearbox anyway.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Man it sounds like the only knob is the dude that pulled you over.How the hell is a shifter pattern going to stop an accident?
    The only thing it helps is the crim that steals it.
    Dumb!!

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Learner Driver
    Bloody concrete heads. They certainly are a different breed not to mention jury destroyers.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    How would emergency people go with any Holden or Torana or Statesman, or even Ford or Chrysler for that matter with a 3spd column shift?
    3spd Column shift are all the same pattern regardless of vehicle. Japan cars have a 4spd column shift but any I have seen have the shift pattern on the steering column.

I have never had a problem with shift patterns without directions... For reverse you always have to depress the stick so a minute or two fiddling when you first get in soon gets you familiar with the shift pattern.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    3spd Column shift are all the same pattern regardless of vehicle. Japan cars have a 4spd column shift but any I have seen have the shift pattern on the steering column.

I have never had a problem with shift patterns without directions... For reverse you always have to depress the stick so a minute or two fiddling when you first get in soon gets you familiar with the shift pattern.
    Just a thought Absinth, I'm going column auto and I'm not cutting the facia to fit the gear indicator. Do you think a decal on the column/pot would work?

Cruiser

These days you have to deal with "common sense " and it's not very common anymore so cops need to inforce these rules for the stupid people and the ones that are looking for a payout when their lawer says blame the gear knob it didn't tell you where reverse was!!!

Sandman Guru
    3spd Column shift are all the same pattern regardless of vehicle. Japan cars have a 4spd column shift but any I have seen have the shift pattern on the
    Is that correct for all 3spd column shift? Sounds right.

I wonder how HK-HG commercial 4spds work? I don't recall if they had indication on the knob. Or HD-HR with 4spd or early HK with M20 (pre console shift).

Thread Information