Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning alloy

Sandman Guru

Cleaning alloy

I'm doing a brake upgrade on the Hilux. Standard front brakes are useless if you fit bigger wheels and tyres. Fronts were fried at 40,000kM, I put new slotted rotors on and they are gone again.

So i've bought some new Prado 120 series T3 slotted discs (328mm, 28mm thick. Originals 297mm, 23mm thick), calipers (4 piston) and backing plates. These are the same as what is fitted to the TRD Hiluxes, same rears, same master and booster. Straight bolt on.

I've just degreased and pressure washed the calipers and am about to put some kits through them but they are still all ugly looking. What can I use to clean the alloy up? Carby cleaner? They are bright and shiny under the bolt heads.

I use autosol works great

Sandman Guru
    I'll check it out but is it a polish? I just want something I can spray on and wipe/rub off. Calipers look like they have a coating on them that I assume is brake dust. They are OK to use as is but I just wanted to make them look a bit newer. Will mag wheel cleaner work?

I use a product that's made by Lanotec. Citra Force degreaser. It's citrus based. Does a terrific job of ID plates. Just use one of those small (Tooth brush size) nylon brushes. Do it a couple of times. You might get away with a wire brush on the calipers.

It's a rockin'
    Vinegar is good for cleaning alloy,I use it on inlet manifolds with good results and it's cheap

Leadfoot
    For non delicate parts like brake calipers I use caustic soda or caustic based oven cleaner. Spray it on after degreasing leave it for a while wash it off and the alloy should come up silver and dull but free of corrosion. then seal with the stuff used to re color carbies

Carby cleaner will do an amazing job Byron used it for my manifold to

Sandman Guru
    Thanks guys. Will try some carby cleaner initially.

Yep, carby cleaner ( and it smells nice) is a good choice. I've still got a few cans of that "Braklene" spray-on cleaner that I don't think is made any more. That used to just dissolve all sorts of dirt and crap on calipers and discs. I think it was discontinued a few years ago, but carby cleaner should be almost as good.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

There is also such a thing as aerosol brake cleaner by all the same manufacturers as the carby cleaner.
    Think; Series 500, CRC, Nulon, Autoking, Pennzoil etc. Both products should do the job well. Autoking was a favourite of most of the workshops I supplied.

Thread Information