Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning alloy

I reckon a can of Coke and a scourer would probably do the same job!!

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Yep, carby cleaner ( and it smells nice) is a good choice. I've still got a few cans of that "Braklene" spray-on cleaner that I don't think is made any more. That used to just dissolve all sorts of dirt and crap on calipers and discs. I think it was discontinued a few years ago, but carby cleaner should be almost as good.
    BRAKLEEN & CLEAN-R-CARB are both part of CRC's current product range. They are both good products & I've used both on the one job, because they are slightly different chemically. You often need to use both on something as tough to clean as a brake caliper.

Dr Terry

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    BRAKLEEN & CLEAN-R-CARB are both part of CRC's current product range. They are both good products & I've used both on the one job, because they are slightly different chemically. You often need to use both on something as tough to clean as a brake caliper.

Dr Terry
    There is also at least one 'Brakleen' type product that is not CRC brand, 'Autobarn' carries it here in the ACT, cheaper than the CRC at about $8 compared to $15 but it doesn't seem to work as well, but thats a bit speculative, (some brakes are in worse condition than others I spose).

But if you want the calipers real good, you could call a local brakeshop and ask what they'll charge to sandblast em. It was only 20 bucks for blasting both front calipers on my HX about five years back. (But you have to change the piston seals then, or get the shop to do it, which I did, maybe thats why the blasting was so cheap - however they'll take caliper paint no probs after that!!) Sweet result!

127. Assembly 43.jpg
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 07-07-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Added photo

Learner Driver
    I was always told aluminium foil and coke to brighten alloy and chrome. Never tried it but saw it talked about on mythbusters or similar show and they confirmed it worked, something about transfer of electons, photons, quarks or something

- - - Updated - - -

I was always told aluminium foil and coke to brighten alloy and chrome. Never tried it but saw it talked about on mythbusters or similar show and they confirmed it worked, something about transfer of electons, photons, quarks or something

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

Dr Terry
    Interesting. I heard Brakleen (excuse my previous spelling) was discontinued, but I hadn't actually searched for it as I still had some in stock.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information