Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historic Rego...

Historic Rego...

So,.....

Rego for my van was due recently and I decided to stick it on Historic. I have quite a few cars and registering them was getting to be difficult on my limited income.

A safety inspection from one of the blokes in the car club and a trip to the motor registry was followed by the payment of a whole $80.00! Saved me about $600.00. That's a bargain and even though there's some restrictions to when and where you can drive, it won't affect me much where I live.

The small number plates are a bit of a pain to make look right in an area designed for larger ones, but I'll work something out when I regain the use of both hands.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I have also heard recently that your car insurance nearly works out to be half as much compared to having your car fully registered

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    So,.....

Rego for my van was due recently and I decided to stick it on Historic. I have quite a few cars and registering them was getting to be difficult on my limited income.

A safety inspection from one of the blokes in the car club and a trip to the motor registry was followed by the payment of a whole $80.00! Saved me about $600.00. That's a bargain and even though there's some restrictions to when and where you can drive, it won't affect me much where I live.

The small number plates are a bit of a pain to make look right in an area designed for larger ones, but I'll work something out when I regain the use of both hands.
    It only costs you $680 to register your car in NSW ?

My 70s V8 Holdens are nearer to $1,000 (& some over that), is that a city vs country pricing thing ?

Your historic rego should be cheaper next time around, the $80 included a once-off price for the plates themselves. My cars on historic rego are all under $60 per year(in Sydney metro area).

Peter Jackson, the guy that used to own what is now Spectrum rubber, makes a blank number plate in the old standard size to which you can then attach the little historic plate. He fills the blank area with your club name or whatever else you want.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 27-06-2014 at 09:20 AM.

I'm on country priced rego Terry, and to be honest I didn't even look at how much the total cost was, but my wife just mentioned the $600.00 that we had saved.

My Valiant wagon on historic rego was $58.00 last year I think and insurance is REAL CHEAP. Off the top of my head I think comprehensive insurance cost me about $70.00.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    I'm on country priced rego Terry, and to be honest I didn't even look at how much the total cost was, but my wife just mentioned the $600.00 that we had saved.

My Valiant wagon on historic rego was $58.00 last year I think and insurance is REAL CHEAP. Off the top of my head I think comprehensive insurance cost me about $70.00.
    Very nice just Paid $1000 for my old rodeo rego might have to get five old cars on historic and do test runs on them at various days would have one for each day lol . On another note street machine had a write up about rego laws and nsw might finally come good soon , in line with Vic anyway plus there may be a similar rego scheme for modifieds on 90 days , that will be good to have .

Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    Very nice just Paid $1000 for my old rodeo rego might have to get five old cars on historic and do test runs on them at various days would have one for each day lol . On another note street machine had a write up about rego laws and nsw might finally come good soon , in line with Vic anyway plus there may be a similar rego scheme for modifieds on 90 days , that will be good to have .
    You're on the right track now mate!

I can take the Valiant on a "test run" one day, then the van the next. When I get one of the Toranas on Historic rego, I can then effectively drive every day in different cars. This works better if you live rurally, as the "test run" is defined as "a short run or to the nearest place of relevant repair" or words to that effect. When it's a 25km drive to the nearest place of repair (or parts, or petrol for that matter) it gives you a bit more freedom in your travels. Weekends are a breeze, as all you need to do is email the club to tell them you are attending a show at (wherever) and you can drive almost anywhere.

I guess the big answer is not to drive like an idiot and draw attention to yourself and you should get away with normal trips.

And that's the problem.
    Already you guys (and half the other people in the state with older cars) are looking at abusing the system.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    And that's the problem.
    Already you guys (and half the other people in the state with older cars) are looking at abusing the system.

Except for the "half"part. More like 7/8ths.

It's an expensive hobby. You want multiple cars then you'll need to pay multiple fees to drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    And that's the problem.
    How is that "abusing the system"?

Isn't it normal and correct to give a car a run at least once a week to keep it in shape?

And what harm does it do?

We are all in the same boat here and my advice was simply to help anyone that has multiple cars that qualify for historic rego to fully understand the benefits. What IS abuse is the blown, tubbed, full chassis race cars in Victoria on historic rego.

Cruiser
    Also there is a big difference between:-

"I can take the Valiant on a "test run" one day, then the van the next. When I get one of the Toranas on Historic rego, I can then effectively drive every day in different cars."

&

"Isn't it normal and correct to give a car a run at least once a week to keep it in shape?"

The way the historic rego is calculated (in NSW anyway), it is assumed that the car(s) will be used most weekends, but not during the week. Many people 'abuse' the system by driving their historic car to work (or similar) every day.

Dr Terry

Thread Information