Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lump on the tyre?

Lump on the tyre?

Hi Sandman friends,i have a problem with the drivers side front end of my HJ Holden,it happens around the 100kmph -110kmph and feels like a lump in the tyre ,which its not ,then I thought it could be that I lost a lead weight off the rim putting the balance out,so I switched a rim from the back to the front and the problem still remained ,i'm going to change drag link ball joints and tie rod ends and go through process of elimination ,I have already replaced front shockies springs .I have also replaced pivot bushes and ball joint on the wishbone,any more suggestions I could look at would be appreciated cheers guys.Seems to get worse if I go over a slight bump in the road at 90 -100kmph.
    Last edited by Indy Orange; 20-06-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Cracked chassis?

Cruiser
    Mine got better after a change of spark plugs and a tune up it stopped doing exactly the same thing. Cracked chassis? Check left side about where the body goes on,seems to be a weak spot, don't know why.

Thanks i'll check the chassis ,hope your wrong,what about pitman or idler arm?

- - - Updated - - -

You can actually feel it through the right front wheel .

Sandman Guru
    Check engine mounts (all 3), unis, weld around shock tower and behind lower control arm rear bracket.

Will do ,thanks

Steering box bolts?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Leadfoot
    Hi .
    When did the problem start. If it started after some work was done It could be that. A vibration at a given speed is usually a harmonic IE a lot of little things not quite right all coming together at the same time. The spring shock combo could be not optimum + tie rod and idler arm ware + slight wheel balance prob and wheel run out all coming together at the same time and same speed.
    Also you mention already replacing the springs . check the ride height left and right , cause there is a guide plate up inside the spring tower and sometimes the new springs get caught on the wrong side of of causing all sorts of clearance and driving issues.

Yeah I made sure the springs were located correctly when I fitted them (tail end of the spring located in that recess ) I used Pedders springs and GT Monroe shockies.I am going to check for cracks first and replace tie rod ends and drag link balljoints and then go from there,cant really see it being a crack, this car has lead a sheltered life ,its a v8 though so could the extra weight cause cracks in V8s more?

Leadfoot
    Could also be a wheel bearing being loose

Thread Information