Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-Plate laws in Victoria eased!

P-Plate laws in Victoria eased!

And it's about bloody time some common sense prevailed. Now the rest of Australia has to catch up.

Must admit, I feel for you guys not in Vic, you really get the bad end of the stick when comes to modified cars. Fingers crossed this gets traction for you guys

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-1...rnment/5528564

P-platers will be able to drive V8 cars and heavy vehicles from next month, but supercars and high-performance vehicles are still off-limits.

The Victorian Government is relaxing vehicle restrictions to allow P-platers to drive heavier vehicles for work and smaller fuel-efficient V8 cars.

Under the new restrictions, power will be limited to 130 kilowatts per tonne instead of the number of cylinders.

Click the link for the rest of the article

Way too much scope for abuse...

It doesn't affect me in the slightest, I'm not on P plates and I don't intend to have to go on them.

Back in the good old days when I was on P-plates, I had a HK van with a 350 Chev/Powerglide and I managed to come through it all unscathed, (although there were a few close calls), so I still reckon it's the driver, not the car that causes the problem.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Back in the good old days when I was on P-plates, I had a HK van with a 350 Chev/Powerglide and I managed to come through it all unscathed, (although there were a few close calls), so I still reckon it's the driver, not the car that causes the problem.
    As with the rest of life, you need to make the rules to suit the lowest common denominator.

I got through unscathed in a 308 Sandman on a gravel road too but some of my classmates had some real corkers.

Sandman Guru
    Makes sense though. You could have a VG V6 ute but not a 253 HQ-WB ute which is silly as the VG will get you into far more trouble than the older example.

Cruiser
    Yes, NSW has the same silly P-plate laws. They a not permitted to drive any car which has a supercharger, turbocharger or V8 regardless of its engine size.

So they can drive an E49 Charger, XR6 Falcon or GTR XU1, but not a HiLux Diesel turbo, Suzuki Cappacino (660cc turbo). or HZ 253 wagon.

Dr Terry

Sandman Guru
    How silly is that Terry, on P-plates you can't drive a D4D Hilux but you an have a V6 one. The D4D accelerates about as fast as a 3 legged donkey but the V6 can be lethal if not driven carefully. When I first got mine it turned around on me on a wet road under normal acceleration out of a roundabout. Last Saturday I had to go to Sydney to pick up a microfilm scanner and I hit the throttle a fracton too hard on the freeway doing 100, and the back end kicked out 90deg, I doubt a p-plater would know how to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    How silly is that Terry, on P-plates you can't drive a D4D Hilux but you an have a V6 one. The D4D accelerates about as fast as a 3 legged donkey but the V6 can be lethal if not driven carefully. When I first got mine it turned around on me on a wet road under normal acceleration out of a roundabout. Last Saturday I had to go to Sydney to pick up a microfilm scanner and I hit the throttle a fracton too hard on the freeway doing 100, and the back end kicked out 90deg, I doubt a p-plater would know how to deal with that.
    I reckon a P plater would do exactly the same as I would have,
    I'd have shit myself!!
    On a more serious note, the new regulations for Victoria are no more than a cynical attempt to keep older vehicles off the road. The easing of restrictions applies only to cars newer than 2010 models. The excuse is that it will be based on power to weight ratio and as there is no national listing of power to weight ratios for cars prior to 2010, they can't allow them to be driven. A total cop out in my opinion, if some little clerk in the Vicroads can't be given instruction in the use of a calculator and a list of the weights of standard model vehicles along with a list of the engines and the the kw ratings of the engines of these vehicles, so that a list of permissable vehicles can be made, then we are living in a in a very unenlightened society. It is not rocket science. The media release states that it will still be an offence to drive pre 2010 vehicles on P plates that are currently on the prohibited list as they will still be prohibited under the new system.
    Oh, BTW, currently you are allowed to drive a D4D hilux on P plates as turbo diesels are exempt from the bullshit. You can drive a VW Golf Turbo Diesel (90kw 1.4l turbo diesel) on P's but not a Fiat 500 Lounge (62kw 900cc turbo).
    Last edited by Dick61; 20-06-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Yes, NSW has the same silly P-plate laws. They a not permitted to drive any car which has a supercharger, turbocharger or V8 regardless of its engine size.

So they can drive an E49 Charger, XR6 Falcon or GTR XU1, but not a HiLux Diesel turbo, Suzuki Cappacino (660cc turbo). or HZ 253 wagon.

Dr Terry
    Dr terry I understood any v8 diesel SUV or utes etc were an exception to the rule as most of the farming community drive these and their kids needed to use their parents cars
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information