Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Its finally in etch prime! Woohoo

Thanks, hqhzvans. Yes its getting close, but my desire to do the custom work inevitably slows things down. The panel shop will now finish underneath and then start the paint job with a sound deadening road coat.

Will be good to see colour i bet

Yes sure will. Good news is, I can bring my chassis home on Monday. I can install the entire drive train and then get the custom bits fitted so I should be seeing progress on several fronts. Cheers

My van is in panel shop also and at some stage I will also be getting chassis back to be blasted and rebuild suspension and brakes I will probably be a bit behind you thought

Alright you 2 stop making me jealous mines not even close to that but i cant wait for the strip down
    keeping an eye on both your threads

Well I can share two regrets on my chassis for you guys. Firstly I got talked into having the chassis sprayed with enamel by my sand blasting shop. The finish is just not what i was looking for and my panel shop may get asked to respray in two pack. Secondly, I failed to notice the amount of Holden weld splatter on my chassis before it was painted. I will have to work this over before finishing. Its amazing how a dirty chassis hides so many imperfections. Be assured, when sandblasting is finished, they will all stand out.

mate this is a serious resto! enamel? really?! go 2k imo
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    mate this is a serious resto! enamel? really?! go 2k imo
    Yes i agree. When this project started 2.5 years ago, I didn't quite know the depth it would go to, or even much about paint for that matter. The sandblast shop told me that they use enamel on chassis all the time and that its better with stone chips etc. I went with their advice and at the time, thought it wouldn't make much difference, but the finish was not quite right and it niggles at me. Anyway, the panel shop have told me they can rub back and apply 2pak while the chassis is out. I need to re-look at it when i get it home on Monday.

On a brighter note, i'm looking forward to installing my 308 and turbo 400. Then i can design the custom bracketing to sling the AC compressor under the power steering pump and extractors.

yeah no stress. i'm so sure it will look an absolute treat. your panel beater looks very skilled. just make sure after all that good panel and prep you find a equally good painter!
    BQZ

I report today with a heavy heart, alas Vombil and others are right. My chassis needs to be stripped back and started again. I spent some time with my panel shop this morning as i picked up my chassis. He looked closer at its paint job and pronounced it dead...or more specifically shit house! After choking for an hour or so, I have now committed to another sandblast and respray to get it right. Luckily a blast shop around the corner said they can do it, including 2pak epoxy primer for under $500 bucks and my panel shop have taken pity on me and offered to paint it in 2pak black for free after the blast, if i just pay for the paint. I think i might have gotten off this hook lightly. Advice to all, if your doing an over the top, ground up restoration, don't dick around with what's underneath, it will bite you on the arse. Anyway, pics of my chassis back home today

20141222_162416.jpg

20141222_162432.jpg

20141222_162500.jpg

Thread Information