Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Opinions please

Learner Driver
    I've just sat in my car for 45 minutes while between jobs writing up a reply on a bloody Iphone just to hit cancel as I was about to post it!!!!

Learner Driver
    Take 2

I certainly feel better after looking through a bunch of old photos, hearing from you guys and talking to the panel shop. The rust I can take care of but I'd heard so many horror stories of window repairs gone wrong even after being done by so called professionals that it worried the hell out of me. They were very casual about it like they could do it in their sleep . The sunroof repair is a spot weld fix and the windows are 2 pack adhesive as is used on the production lines of most new cars. I did ask if it would be strong enough and not move about and they just pointed to a handful of cars in the shop using 2 pack to hold on most of the their panels.
    I have all the gear needed and will soon have the space to do the majority of the work but I have a couple of projects that need finishing off before hitting the van.
    This has certainly brought up an interesting debate about reshelling. It leaves as many questions as it does answers about where you draw the line.
    If for arguments sake, you have an xx7 shell and chassis. Nothing else, no bolt ons, no engine or running gear, interior, glass or electrics and you scrounge up all the bits to make a complete car then it is a Sandman?
    But if you have a complete drivable clean and tidy Sandman and a tree falls on the roof and wrecks the shell you can't reshell it as then it wont be an original Sandman? I'm guessing there must be dozens if not hundrens of Sandmans that have been reshelled over the years.
    I don't know what's right or wrong with reshelling but I do know I would be feeling pretty pissed if I bought what I was told was a genuine HX to find it was a rebodied WB shell.
    Even given the fact that while I draw breath the van wont be sold I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had an HX Sandman that was not quite a Sandman

I'm gunna post this before I hit cancel again!

Sandman Guru
    It is still a Sandman after a reshell, but it has been reshelled and if you do not declare that when selling it you may find yourself in court one day up on false advertising Civil charges. And have to pay a large some of money to a subsequent owner. A recent court case had made a precedent on this. When you go to sell it and tell the truth the car will be heavily devalued by the market, so not worth doing.

Thread Information